Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Out of all the writers of fiction that ever were, whose work do you most admire/enjoy?

Out of all the writers of fiction that ever were, whose work do you most admire/enjoy?

No need to limit ourselves to a single choice - for most people it's hard to pick just one author. Predilection shifts over time anyway, doesn't it. 

Posted - August 24, 2020

Responses

It's hard not to like Lewis Carroll and his drug-fueled hallucinations that gave us "Alice in Wonderland."
      August 24, 2020 10:00 AM MDT

Yes, in its time a brave piece of literature. But with laudanum in uncontrolled and widespread use back then, one could speculate how many other writers' ideas were coloured by the drug habit. Conan Doyle seemed to have showed no reluctance in making his Sherlock Holmes character a cocaine addict. A per pro of nothing, for some years I lived within a stones-throw of Lewis Carroll's house in Guildford.
      August 24, 2020 10:16 AM MDT

My "go-to" authors are:

James Patterson
    Lee Child
    Iris Johansen
    Leon Uris
    Michael Connelly
    David Baldacci
    John Grisham
    Brad Thor
    Vince Flynn (deceased) Kyle Mills is now writing using Flynn's characters.
    Harlan Coben
    Patricia Cornwell
    John Sandford

August 24, 2020 10:38 AM MDT

An excellent selection for my bedside table. Thanks. 
    PS My own favourite here would probably be John Grisham - a very readable author.
      August 24, 2020 12:12 PM MDT

Excellent choice.
      August 24, 2020 1:38 PM MDT

• I have to go with Tolkien.  His works from Middle Earth will always be timeless as far as my enjoyment goes.   
      August 24, 2020 1:37 PM MDT

In both matter and form, that of Jorge Luis Borges.

I was going to say he complicates the notion of "fictions," but one of his collections bears precisely that title. This post was edited by Danilo_G at August 25, 2020 7:32 AM MDT
      August 24, 2020 2:31 PM MDT

Stephen King
      August 24, 2020 3:34 PM MDT

Robert Heinlein.
      August 24, 2020 4:04 PM MDT

I'm reading a bit about him now. Apparently, he was ahead of his time not only by predicting such things as CAD software (or the mobile phone, 35 years prior to development), but also by writing protagonists of colour at a time when they were more often green than black.
      August 25, 2020 4:49 AM MDT

Shirley Jackson

Flannery O'Connor

John Wyndham

Franz Kafka

Raymond Carver

Clive Barker  - - mainly for his novel "The Great and Secret Show" - - the only book that I put down for months because it scared and chilled me to my core -- and I had read everything Stephen King wrote up to that point adn never felt this way -- Barker scared me in such a gentle, quiet way -- terrifyingly wonderful)

Ray Bradbury

Stephen King

Ayn Rand

August 25, 2020 7:41 AM MDT