Active Now

my2cents
Spunky
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Music » Regarding R.E.M. albums - why should I care?

Regarding R.E.M. albums - why should I care?

My favorite R.E.M. album (and I own them all) is "Around the Sun."

In every poll, article, review I've ever read about R.E.M. albums, this album is ALWAYS named "THE Worst R.E.M. Album."

Why should I care? Deep down, I don't. The album remains my favorite. And I really like all of their albums.

It's interesting at times for me -- sometimes being on the outside, looking in at everyone else who seem to be saying and thinking and doing what I seemingly "should" be saying and thinking and doing  -- at odds with what everyone else says and thinks and does, i.e., "We can all agree that 'Around the Sun' is the WORST R.E.M. album." And then they all argue about what is the best R.E.M. album. And I "sit" there on the other side of the "room," thinking, "Uh. . . well, I guess I don't have much to add to the argument of the best album since my best is the worst."  Ha!
:)

And, of course, yes -- I've been listening to "Around the Sun" on 'repeat' the whole time I posted this question, ha! :)

Around the Sun by R.E.M. (Album, Pop Rock): Reviews, Ratings, Credits, Song  list - Rate Your Music

Posted - August 26, 2020

Responses

My favorite REM happens every night when I sleep. Why on earth would a band give itself a name associated with sleep?
      August 26, 2020 10:11 PM MDT

:) Ha!

I don't know the answer to your question. But I think there is an answer out there somewhere on the origin of their name.

I simply just listen to their music. :)
      August 26, 2020 10:22 PM MDT

Entertainment acts worldwide all over the place everywhere have for many numerous extended longtime several decades years been named quite strangely in weird or outlandish odd ways and manners in a fashion that is unstandard.  Why do you assume to think and surmisingly opine that any particular strange name of an act is in particular particularly stranger than any other another different separate non-same act strange offbeat name?
    ~

August 27, 2020 6:00 AM MDT

Why are you being so peculiarly particular?
      August 27, 2020 6:06 AM MDT

I know, huh?
    :)

August 27, 2020 6:07 AM MDT