Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Why should Donald Trump comment on Kyle Rittenhouse?

Why should Donald Trump comment on Kyle Rittenhouse?

There are those who think he is guilty and those who think he is not. The people who think he is guilty are complaining that Trump refuses to comment on it. My guess would be they expect Trump to agree with them. My opinion is the president has no obligation to comment on legal cases that have not  been resolved.

Posted - August 31, 2020

Responses

Why should the president comment on a state matter?   This thinking started with Obama, who was a ruler, not a president.  Now people think everything that happens in the country needs a presidential comment.  Wrong.  Trump chiming in on things often simply creates chaos.  The states should handle their own matters, such as state law criminal issues. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at September 2, 2020 11:12 PM MDT
      August 31, 2020 5:39 PM MDT

Any US president commenting on an open legal case, an ongoing civil or criminal investigation, or a courtroom trial, especially rending an opinion favoring one side or the other, is nothing more than undue interference, and should be discouraged vigorously.  Far too many followers of that president, or far too many detractors of that president may be blinded by their impressions of the office and carry deeply biased views into their perceptions of how the case "should" be handled.  Instead of facts and evidence being the arbitrary factors on which the matter is being decided, public fervor for or against the president becomes the measuring stick.  Regardless of what a person thinks of a sitting president, I believe it's both inappropriate and irresponsible for that president to utter such statements.

~

September 2, 2020 11:22 PM MDT