Discussion » Questions » Arts » Tell unto me the name of some film that especially appealed or appeals to you

Tell unto me the name of some film that especially appealed or appeals to you

I'm thinking of the type of film that is unusual in some significant way, arouses curiosity, has you wanting to know who made the film and why it is so different from the norm. Perhaps a film that would seem not to appeal to Joe Average (though it might).   

Posted - September 4, 2020

Responses

• I remember when Being John Malkovich came out.  Seeing the trailer got me interested because it looked like a pretty twisted movie and it truly turned out to be so.  I loved the insanity of it and wanted to know more about who made it. Turned out to be a not so well known director named Spike Jonze who would later go on to direct some of my favorite movies. 

September 4, 2020 7:52 AM MDT

September 4, 2020 8:34 AM MDT

You must be pulling my lariat!
      September 4, 2020 9:26 AM MDT

I was in the Marine Corps when I saw “Full Metal Jacket” for the first time. The first half of that movie, the boot camp portion, was so close to authenticity and raw, cutting realism that I enjoyed it throughly thoroughly.  It was both nostalgic and entertaining, and that’s from the perspective of having gone through Marine Corps boot camp myself. I do have to say that I specify merely the first half of the movie, because the Vietnam portion of it was too Hollywood fir for my tastes. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at September 8, 2020 8:51 PM MDT
      September 4, 2020 8:34 AM MDT

fir...for
      September 4, 2020 1:59 PM MDT

I keep doing that!  Grrrrrr. 

~

September 4, 2020 4:47 PM MDT

A couple of films I am especially glad to have come across, are:
    The Cold Light of Day (the 1996 film with Lyndsey Baxter - not the other film of the same name)
    and
    The Train (with Burt Lancaster and Paul Schofield)
      September 4, 2020 9:45 AM MDT

Porky's. Why? Because I've never laughed so hard in my life!
      September 4, 2020 6:07 PM MDT

The first movie to come to my mind :

Director Michael Haneke's original 1997 "Funny Games"       -- (not his own American remake of this film that he made years later)

* THE most disturbing movie I've yet to see

* No on-screen gore/excessive violence at all but very distressing and violent to watch

* So disturbing to me but, that first time I watched, I knew it was a masterpiece to me

* At one point, I yelled and swore at the TV screen, threw the remote at the screen (thankfully, I missed hitting the screen)  - - stopped the movie -  and I went outside for a long night time walk to calm myself down

* This movie is definitely not for everyone -- in fact, for very few, I'd say. I'm very glad I watched it, though, and I've since watched many of Haneke's movies and he's my favorite modern film director

* The movie does things that NO other movie I've seen has ever done

* The movie continued to disturb me for about three weeks after watching

* One movie critic, in his review of the movie, wrote (paraphrased) " Why would anyone continue to watch when the director is doing everything he can to make you leave?"

* From what I've read, Haneke never has believed that violence in movies should be entertaining, like so many of the typical Hollywood over-the-top blockbuster kind of violent action movies. And Haneke creates this quiet little, terribly upsetting movie. His unique approach? He makes us, the audience, a participant in the "Funny Games."  And saying that, I've said, perhaps, too much -- I do very highly recommend the movie - - if anything, just for the sheer unique quality. (An excellent cast, too.)

Funny Games (1998) - Rotten Tomatoes

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 8, 2020 9:57 PM MDT
      September 8, 2020 8:50 PM MDT

Airplane! and Spaceballs. I enjoy movies that take the p*ss out of other movies.

Also the first two Python movies - that kind of absurd humour appeals to me.
      September 8, 2020 9:08 PM MDT

I love "Manji Mai 2" from Japan. It begins with a samurai walking along a road in the wilderness. He wears a wide-brimmed hat, so you cannot see his face. Suddenly, 7 bandits with swords drawn attack him. He raises his head and we see it is a beautiful girl in men's clothing. It was me in this role. She quickly draws her sword and kills all 7 bandits in less than ten seconds. She meets a small samurai and they find an inn. The small samurai has a quarrel and several men attack him. He beats them until a giant about 7;-0" tall weighing about 300 lbs. lifts the small samurai off the ground and shakes him. I use a whip to turn the giant around and knock him unconscious. There are many fights in this movie. I am 5'-2.25" tall and weigh pp lbs. wit 33.5" bust, 22.666" waist and 32.3" hips. 
      October 27, 2020 10:33 PM MDT