Active Now

Reverend Muhammadovsky
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Some religious folks remain aloof from politics/society. Why are they here? Why did God put them here? To do what?

Some religious folks remain aloof from politics/society. Why are they here? Why did God put them here? To do what?

It seems to me God WANTS us to get involved. Love thy neighbor. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. Try to make our lives meaningful by participating and leaving good tracks behind as we keep trying to make things better, help one another. If all we do is worship  God and wait for the day He will take us up to be with Him isn't that a life wasted? If we do nothing for our fellow man and are only devout to our religion and remain detached and removed from the process of living how did we make a difference in the world? What do we leave behind that was of any value? Shouldn't we aspire to do good works and be a positive influence for good?

Posted - October 11, 2016

Responses

Not sure why you seem to equate politics with society? What religion remains aloof from politics and society? 

Can't you be a good neighbor without getting involved in corrupt politics?
    From the videos I've seen, trumps supporters and Clinton's supporters don't seem to be good neighbors to each other. Each side fights for what benefits them, not what benefits the other side. Perhaps your view of love of neighbor and mine are different? Should everyone that votes someone into office be held accountable for the person they voted on? NAZI Germany sure had its share of political love of neighbor as the majority of 'Christian' Germany voted for Hitler. 

RosieG, in some threads you have professed to be a Christian. Perhaps you would like to see what the scriptures say?

(John 17:15, 16) “I do not request that you take them out of the world, but that you watch over them because of the wicked one. 16 They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.

How Did Jesus View Politics?
    THE Gospel writers describe several events in Jesus’ ministry that brought him face-to-face with politics. For instance, shortly after Jesus’ baptism at about the age of 30, the Devil offered him the position of world ruler. Later in his ministry, a crowd wanted to make him their king. Still later, people tried to turn him into a political activist. How did Jesus react? Let us consider these events.
    World ruler. The Gospels state that the Devil offered Jesus rulership over “all the kingdoms of the world.” Think of how much good Jesus could have done for suffering mankind if he had wielded the power of a world ruler! What politically oriented individual sincerely concerned with mankind’s advancement could resist such an offer? But Jesus refused it.—Matthew 4:8-11.
    King. Many of Jesus’ contemporaries were desperate for a ruler who could solve their economic and political problems. Impressed by Jesus’ abilities, the people wanted Jesus to join the political process. What was his reaction? Gospel writer John states: “Jesus, knowing they were about to come and seize him to make him king, withdrew again into the mountain all alone.” (John 6:10-15) Clearly, Jesus refused to become involved in politics.
    Political activist. Note what happened days before Jesus was put to death. Disciples of the Pharisees, who favored independence from the Roman Empire, joined by Herodians, members of a political party favoring Rome, approached Jesus. They wanted to force him to take a political position. They asked if the Jews should pay taxes to Rome.
    Mark recorded Jesus’ response: “‘Why do you put me to the test? Bring me a denarius to look at.’ They brought one. And he said to them: ‘Whose image and inscription is this?’ They said to him: ‘Caesar’s.’ Jesus then said: ‘Pay back Caesar’s things to Caesar, but God’s things to God.’” (Mark 12:13-17) Commenting on the reason for Jesus’ response, the book Church and State—The Story of Two Kingdoms concludes: “He refused to act the part of a political messiah and carefully established both the boundary of Caesar and that of God.”
    Problems such as poverty, corruption, and injustice did not leave Christ unmoved. In fact, the Bible shows that he was deeply touched by the pitiful state of the people around him. (Mark 6:33, 34) Still, Jesus did not start a campaign to rid the world of injustices, although some tried hard to get him embroiled in the controversial issues of the day.
    Clearly, as these examples show, Jesus refused to get involved in political affairs. But what about Christians today? What should they do?

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2016288?q=%22The+Bible+gives+several+reasons+why+God+requires+that+we+remain+neutral%22&p=par This post was edited by texasescimo at November 20, 2016 10:57 PM MST
      October 11, 2016 7:08 AM MDT

I didn't read all of that, Tex, but your two lead-in questions are a right on response to this silly OP. 
      October 11, 2016 2:51 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply tex and Happy Friday.  The scriptures say many things including "love thy neighbor as thyself".  Many "TRUE" Christians are racists and bigots.  A commandment says "Thou shalt not kill". Some Christians ignore that one too. The scriptures also say "What ye do to the least of mine you do to me". So every time  a "Christian" exhibits hate/anger and harms others verbally or physically, either  literally or figuratively, that "Christian" is also doing it to God. Many "Christian" folks ignore that one too. So citing scripture is irrelevant in any context since many "true" Christians can cite passages from memory but they do not live it. We call them hypocrites and fake Christians. If you don't live it you aren't it.   I don't "profess" to be a Christian. I AM ONE.
      October 14, 2016 3:39 AM MDT

Unless you live in a monastery or a commune then you have to interact with the community you're living in.

Some religions or sects within a religion may allow their adherents to live within the wider society but prohibit them from participating in the political process, even voting in elections.

Islam forbids monasticism and discourages celibacy. The Muslim scripture says that human beings have been placed on earth with the responsibility of taking care of it on behalf of the owner, God. They are meant to strive to achieve the best in this life and the best in the hereafter. So Islam concerns itself with both the temporal/societal as well as the spiritual. It has rules governing the ownership of natural resources, rules on how vulnerable members of society should be looked after as well as rules on how to pray and fast.
      October 13, 2016 4:37 PM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply CLURT. I appreciate it. Happy Friday! :)
      October 14, 2016 3:32 AM MDT

you're welcome Rosie, and a happy Friday to you too.
      October 14, 2016 6:07 PM MDT

While true Christians don't get involved in the political affairs of this world, they keep very busy obeying the command of taking the message of the good news to the four corners of the earth. We take this command very seriously. (Matthew 24:14; 28:19,20; acts 1:8) our lives are hardly wasted when we have spent our time obeying God's laws and being loyal to his Word. This includes doing good for others, especially spiritually. (James 2:26)
      October 14, 2016 12:10 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Autumn and Happy Friday to you m'dear! :)
      October 14, 2016 3:28 AM MDT

You too Rosie, have a great weekend! :)
      October 14, 2016 11:01 PM MDT

There are plenty of active political people of all persuasions in our church. And there are people serving socially without being overly political.  

I just prefer to get along with all of them.
      October 14, 2016 3:32 AM MDT