Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Have you read any of Shakespear's stuff? Did you understand it?

Have you read any of Shakespear's stuff? Did you understand it?

To me it is incomprehensible.

Posted - September 9, 2020

Responses

I got the part about not "loving wisely, but too well." - Forsooth 
    This post was edited by BetaLoon at September 17, 2020 5:00 PM MDT
      September 9, 2020 6:12 PM MDT

Shakespear's Shakespeare's

When in doubt, Google.
      September 9, 2020 6:18 PM MDT

Back in high school we read some Shakespear and I didn't get it and I thought it was stupid. But a couple of years ago I watch season one of a Canadian made TV show called  Slings and Arrows. In season one the actors were doing Hamlet and I understood it and found that I really Dug Shakespear. Slings and Arrows is kind of a comedy and one of the writers is Mark  Mckinney from Kids In The Hall so I  highly recommend it for Shakespeare lovers and for people that never knew how cool Shakespeare can be. Season 2 is about Ma beth and season 3 is about King Lear - I haven't seen those seasons but there on my bucket list. Cheers!
      September 9, 2020 6:22 PM MDT

Yes, but only what was required. 

Barely. 
      September 9, 2020 6:30 PM MDT

You think Bill is tough? Try Geoffrey Chaucer. I had both in high school, Shakespeare isn't all that hard given that it's practically the same dialect as is found in the King James Bible. Grow up Catholic, you get a lot of that "thee" and "thou" stuff.
    Chaucer is gibberish, it's almost German. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at September 17, 2020 5:02 PM MDT
      September 9, 2020 6:31 PM MDT

We had to read some Shakespeare in either junior high or high school.  I remember reading A Midsummer Night's Dream.  I wouldn't have understood it on my own, but when we discussed it in class and the teacher explained it, his stories were interesting.  
      September 9, 2020 9:27 PM MDT

When i wAs a child, mum left anything she wanted me to read lying around, including the complete works of Shakespeare. As a complete bookworm, I always took the bait. 
      September 17, 2020 2:03 PM MDT