Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » Will observe Satan's Day, October 31?

Will observe Satan's Day, October 31?

Posted - October 11, 2016

Responses

Most don't realize this is exactly what they're doing.
      October 11, 2016 10:09 PM MDT

Actually...no: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

October 12, 2016 1:48 AM MDT

Of course, Hallows 'Eve is my favourite holiday. You remember the dead, and get to dress up (though that's not really the point of it).  This post was edited by ambivalent Friability at October 12, 2016 1:48 AM MDT
      October 11, 2016 10:12 PM MDT

• One may remember the dead any day.
      October 12, 2016 9:44 AM MDT

•   October 11, 2016 10:24 PM MDT

Nailed it :)
      October 11, 2016 10:28 PM MDT

How do you know? :-)
      October 12, 2016 1:48 AM MDT

They don't. There is more historical prove of Jesus Christ existence than there is for Caesar.
      October 12, 2016 5:17 AM MDT

• What? That Jesus wasn't real? In a spiritual sense, the idea of a virgin birth and the offspring of a supernatural deity is just ludicrous.  The debate or discussion can never be won against any religion because the final retort to shut it down is "You have to faith" or "God(s) has/have a plan" or something along those lines.

You and I both know, Halloween was never a holiday about the character "Satan". It was originally a Pagan holiday that was engulfed by Christianity. Maybe they were right and maybe their's was the true religion. How do you know it wasn't?  

October 12, 2016 8:18 AM MDT

• Please note that Jesus never mentions this "virgin birth".  It is perhaps a later accretion.
      October 12, 2016 10:24 AM MDT

• That's correct.

I would like to add (if it's not already clear) that I'm an atheist and if Jesus were real, I appreciate and adore his message.  The story of Jesus itself is inspiring and beautiful regardless. 
      October 12, 2016 11:54 AM MDT

"What? That Jesus wasn't real? In a spiritual sense, the idea of a virgin birth and the offspring of a supernatural deity is just ludicrous."

That's not knowing.  That's believing (that Jesus doesn't exist).  In any case, parthenogenesis is a known phenomenon.

"You and I both know, Halloween was never a holiday about the character "Satan"."

True, but that's a wholly separate issue. 'Halloween' is what came of the church's attempt to integrate and ultimately subvert pagan holidays (Samhain in this case) in the attempt to win converts and/or to make Christianity more palatable to pagans.  "Halloween" can be thought of as an attempt--a rather successful attempt--at cultural appropriation. :-)

October 12, 2016 1:38 PM MDT

• Leave me alone. I'm tired of having to look up those big words. lol

Asexual reproduction is real, yes... But I highly doubt the "virgin" Mary was a Komodo dragon

Kidding aside...I don't believe he's real.  Other than religous text that has it's share of information purportedly to be true and it's not, my belief is based on the lack of strong, physical evidence.  

October 12, 2016 1:53 PM MDT

"Leave me alone. I'm tired of having to look up those big words. lol"

ROTFLMAO!

(FWIW, tradition holds that Mary's conception wasn't 'asexual' in the strictest sense.  She was impregnated by the Holy Spirit in an inherently pure act of reproduction: the closest analogy would be impregnation by an extraterrestrial entity by method/means other than sexual.)

"Kidding aside...I don't believe he's real. "

Correct.  Believing is not knowing, however.  My challenge was to demonstrate how you KNEW Jesus wasn't real.

"Other than religous text that has it's share of information purportedly to be true and it's not, ..."

Again, how do you know that it's not?

"...my belief is based on the lack of strong, physical evidence."

That's fine, fair and honest.  I don't normally render commentary (make value judgements) about other people's beliefs.  That's the penchant of a whole other set of Christians. :-)

I would note, however, that this is the principal reason why atheism is considered just another belief system.

October 12, 2016 2:05 PM MDT

• Ha! Well played!
      October 12, 2016 9:58 AM MDT

Except that he still hasn't established how he KNOWS Jesus isn't/wasn't real (fictitious).
      October 12, 2016 1:39 PM MDT

First of all, Halloween was a pagan holiday, not a Satanist's one. Second of all, people dress up on Halloween as to scare away the demons, not to mimic them. Learn. FFS read something other than that unicorn book you love. Seriously how can some people be so ignorant? They're raised that way, I guess. 
      October 11, 2016 10:30 PM MDT

Nevermind that Samhain is/was the pagan holiday, and Halloween is/was the christianized version if it, though people (christians included) have pretty much forgotten about that.  This post was edited by ambivalent Friability at October 12, 2016 8:18 AM MDT
      October 11, 2016 10:36 PM MDT

I normally don't give troll responses the legitimacy of approval, but this one is spot on.  Halloween/All Hallows Eve/Samhain has nothing to do with satan.

October 12, 2016 1:51 AM MDT

• Ooops....I should have read down through the comments before I replied to you 
      October 12, 2016 8:19 AM MDT

That happens a lot. :-)
      October 12, 2016 1:40 PM MDT

• The "ffs" shows a developed intellect and powerful vocabulary. How does one become so ignorant?  I miss the reference of the unicorn jab, just fatuous rubbish.  But still I thank you for taking the time, and setting aside your principles to answer the question of a "troll".  This has done me  great honor and it is appreciated.  However one wonders why you take time to answer a question which upsets you.  And calling one a "troll" is a juvenile jab. Not every question you are displeased by has been asked by  troll. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 12, 2016 10:03 AM MDT
      October 12, 2016 9:43 AM MDT

I would suggest someone Google "All Hallows Eve."  It is not 'satan's day.'
      October 12, 2016 1:45 AM MDT

• That information has been corrupted by Satan's minions.
      October 12, 2016 10:04 AM MDT