Active Now

Element 99
Slartibartfast
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Arts » What art style can you identify without knowing the artist's name?

What art style can you identify without knowing the artist's name?

Can you guess a Monet painting style? Picasso, Mondrian, Pollack, Warhol, Michelangelo, Kandinsky, Matisse, Klee, Van Gogh, Chagall, O'Keeffe, Munch, Dali, Modigliani, Rothko, Newman, Turrell, Judd, Stella, Twombly, Wright, Basquiat, etc.

Posted - October 12, 2016

Responses

• Waste. Of. Time.
      October 12, 2016 12:30 PM MDT

October 12, 2016 12:37 PM MDT

About 2/3's of those you mentioned.  Not all of them 100 % but I especially know the Impressionists.  That was my favorite art time.  They remind me of me.  (Not that I'm in that league LOL)
      October 12, 2016 12:35 PM MDT

I looked up some of his stuff. Nice!
    :)
      November 30, 2016 11:17 AM MST

Dogs playing poker on velvet black-light painting.

Signed, The Enlightened Randy D
    ~
      October 12, 2016 1:11 PM MDT

• Once I was very excited thinking that I had found an original Pollack.  Turned out to be a house painter's drop cloth.
      October 12, 2016 2:38 PM MDT

Rembrandt, Rousseau, Van Gogh, Renoir, Delacroix, Cezanne, Millet, Turner, Daumier to name a few.
      October 12, 2016 7:14 PM MDT

I 'kinda' know a Picasso when I see one, and my favorite is DEGAS..........but I was fooled once when a Degas painting was NOT of ballet dancers!!  darn!! lol.........

and I pretty much can tell a Rembrandt drawing..love those......the others,not so much!!
      November 6, 2016 12:29 PM MST

The works of Edward Hopper I really like.
     I've always been interested in him and I've seen so many of his works, that, at this point, I know they're Hopper because I've already seen them.

I love his style.

November 30, 2016 11:16 AM MST

• Most of them I think. More than  half anyways. Pollock can be tricky.

I read about this art professor who would show a "Jackson Pollack' to his college art class students and ask them write what they thought about it and to explain  the meaning and virtue of it.  He typically would get various responses about the depth, genius, and expression praising the "painting".   He also went as far to pull this on other established artists, experts, art lovers, and critics with similar results.  Afterwards he told the people in question that what they were led to believe was a work from the great Jackson Pollack, was really one of his old and used up paint smocks.   I love this experiment since to me it says truck loads about the "genius" of the " Master".  lmao This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 30, 2016 4:34 PM MST
      November 30, 2016 11:25 AM MST

That's pretty interesting, Glis!
    I bet I probably would've fallen for the smock, too.
    But I'm also am a fan of young children's everyday artworks. Most of the time I'm fascinated by a child's style and use/non-use of colors.

I don't know why "Forrest Gump" came to my mind with your Pollack/Smock story. But I never saw the movie for quite a while after it had been in theaters. And SO many people kept telling my I must see it and how glorious it was.
    I finally watched it and, to this day, I still consider it a terrible movie.
      November 30, 2016 11:36 AM MST

• Oh man we disagree so much on that one.   Forrest Gump is the best feel good movie ever IMHO.  Prolly the only one I really like since it doesn't rely on sap as most heartwarming movies do.

The one movie that I can say was like that for me.  One that so many praised as being wonderful but was one of the worst films I have ever seen.  Avatar.   What a pile of steaming horse crap that was.  Then again I think James Cammeron is over rated and makes a lot of garbage in general.

Add Blair Witch Project and District 9 to the list of movies I was told were really good that turned out to be chit that made me  regret having my vision and hearing for two hours.
      November 30, 2016 11:42 AM MST

Your stories and input made me smile.
     I did, however, forget to mention how much I enjoyed Sally Field's presence in "Forrest Gump.'
    And the floating feather music parts.
    So, I guess that means the movie was not so terrible! Thanks for making me think a bit more about it!

I haven't seen "Avatar" nor "District 9." I did see "Blair Witch Project" and thought it was overrated. Yet, I did enjoy the very last moments and images of that movie.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 30, 2016 1:24 PM MST
      November 30, 2016 1:11 PM MST

• Yeah,  it finally starts to get interesting for 5min. and then it ends.  ,,!,,(>_<),,!,, BWP
      November 30, 2016 1:26 PM MST

I'm pretty good with Rothko paintings....;-D..

http://grantland.com/features/the-oklahoma-city-thunder-despair-kendrick-perkins/
      November 30, 2016 11:30 AM MST