Discussion » Questions » Politics » Instead of asking candidates if they "believe in" climate change, can we start asking them if they understand it?

Instead of asking candidates if they "believe in" climate change, can we start asking them if they understand it?

It's science, not Santa Claus.

Posted - October 5, 2020

Responses

Great idea.
      October 5, 2020 10:56 AM MDT

It's not going to help. It doesn't address the mindset. I have a friend who doesn't see climate change as an issue. He believes he understands it better than anyone else and that the scientists who see it as a problem are motivated by money.

I can point out that 97% of scientists believe it's a growing problem and he'll say, "How many of them are climatologists? I don't care what other scientists have to say."

I can say, "But so-and-so is a leading climatologist and he says..." And, my friend will say, "Sure, but have you looked into the people he knows and the projects he funds or gets money from?"

I can point out that it's accelerating, and he'll say, "We've been through periods of warming like this before." 

I can say that it's accelerating at a much faster rate than ever before, and he'll say, "It's doubtful and depends on which graphs you look at. Most of what's out there is junk science."

I can point out that our oceans are rising in temperature and killing off aquatic life and he'll say, "There's no real evidence to show those animals wouldn't have died anyway."

Really. It hurts my head to talk to the guy. It's not that these people don't "believe" in climate change and they're often well-read. However, they believe in different studies. It's very hard to find any kind of middle ground.
      October 5, 2020 1:06 PM MDT

Closed minds are always difficult to enter---and when you try to stick truth in there, you usually just get pepper sprayed anyway.

October 5, 2020 3:42 PM MDT