Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » How good is your sense of smell?

How good is your sense of smell?

~

Posted - November 6, 2020

Responses

It is pretty good I think, a little better than it used to be. 
      November 6, 2020 8:36 AM MST

• It's keen. :)
      November 6, 2020 9:03 AM MST

Yes, you need a shower.  Does that answer your question?
      November 6, 2020 9:50 AM MST

Pretty good.  In fact, in some cases - too good. :)
      November 6, 2020 12:00 PM MST

I don't know why, but it is getting better as I get older. I can smell the chlorine in our tap water...my wife can't.
      November 6, 2020 2:05 PM MST

More than adequate I suspect.  I notice some odors before others.  I went through a period of life where I smelled a bus on and off all day for about a month.  It was awful.  You may not know what I'm talking about but gasoline-fueled buses have a particular odor when they accelerate.    I've also noticed that mothers of infants become keenly aware of the odor of their baby's need of a fresh diaper before others can smell it.  
      November 7, 2020 2:03 AM MST

Asker’s Pick. 

I posted this question because since the wildfires of August of this year, almost every day* I have smelled smoke from them. It’s usually in the early hours of the morning or mostly during the entire daytime hours, but I also smell it sometimes in the afternoons, evenings or at night. It’s so vivid that it seems as if fires are continually burning or have recently burned within a dozen miles of the house. Throughout September and into October, I used to ask people around me if they smell the smoke, and after a week of assuring me that they don’t smell it, they quickly became annoyed with me and it evolved from denying it to throwing sideways glances at me.  I’ve stopped asking, even though to this day I still smell it. I’m beginning to believe that as we age, we have just as must super-enhancement of certain sensory perceptions (or supposed perceptions) as we have loss or decreased sharpness of them. Eyesight, hearing, touch, taste, and now even smell.

*I even smell it right now as I’m typing this.

~

November 7, 2020 4:58 PM MST

I understand all of that.  As I have gotten older I obviously have a keen memory of smells.  When I read the word smoke, I smelled immediately.  My sister called and asked if I wanted to go over to her house and share a pizza.  I smelled pizza before I could say no thanks and get off the phone..  Coffee is another one.  When I wake I smell coffee.......and most of the time I am the one who makes the morning coffee.  It's strange.  I know.  But, better than loosing that sense.

Oh, and the bus thing......I was in menopause and had ovaries that weren't working.  When the hormonal problem was solved, the bus smell went away.  I was in my 30s.  Too young.  This post was edited by Thriftymaid at November 8, 2020 9:22 AM MST
      November 8, 2020 9:16 AM MST

Not too keen any more; 60 years of smoking has significantly  diminished my sense of taste and smell.
      November 7, 2020 4:33 PM MST

Probably a little better than average.
    I can usually smell
    - whether someone is healthy and some of what might be wrong
    - when a particular person has recently passed in the street
    - most of the ingredients in a dish of food
    - whether food is on the turn

If I smell sandalwood oil, I can tell the country where it was grown.

November 7, 2020 8:41 PM MST

Wow!
    ~
      November 8, 2020 9:23 AM MST

That is amazing!
      November 10, 2020 5:44 PM MST

My sense of smell is pretty good right now but my mommy radar is on the blink.  I have a child who is having major life issues and I don't feel the least bit of that mommy angst in my heart.  
      November 8, 2020 9:42 AM MST