Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » What are some drawbacks (either real or imagined) associated with whole milk as opposed to 2% or 1% milk?

What are some drawbacks (either real or imagined) associated with whole milk as opposed to 2% or 1% milk?

Due to the COVID19 Pandemic, there are several Food Banks operating locally, my wife and I had occasion to assist at them with their distribution over the past couple of weeks. This close access has allowed us to see that at least for our local area, the food banks are well-stocked, there are wide and varied types of nutritious fresh fruits and vegetables, frozen vegetables, canned goods, juices, grains, breads, pastries, frozen meats, garnishes, and so on.  Some of the foods come from wholesale food centers, retail grocery store chains, local restaurant chains, school district lunch programs that are closed based on the virus, etc. As such, there is hardly ever a trend among the items, sometimes a particular food may be there from day to day or week to week, but the brand name, the manufacturer, the size Word of the food banks’ offerings has been widely disseminated through the county, as evidenced by the throngs of people who access them and take advantage of the plentiful “harvest”.
  One thing I’ve noticed is that regardless of size of containers, ranging from the child’s single serving for an elementary school lunch, a pint, a half gallon or a gallon, and regardless of source, brand name, etc., nonfat milk, low-fat milk, 2% milk and/or 1% milk are the only ones present, never Vitamin D whole milk. It can’t simply be an issue of healthiest or healthier choices, because pastries and sugary drinks are interspersed with the supplies. 

Why is whole milk always excluded?
  (The people who work the food banks are mostly volunteers who have no say as to what will be delivered to them.)
~

Posted - November 12, 2020

Responses

That’s olden days milk. 
      November 12, 2020 5:20 PM MST

How did you get back onto my lawn again, you whippersnapper?  And stay away from my dairy cows!  Grrrrrrr.

~

November 12, 2020 8:21 PM MST

Cows get paid less for 1%.
      November 12, 2020 5:58 PM MST

You know, I think you’re onto something there . . .

~

November 12, 2020 8:17 PM MST

According to dieticians, whole milk is the way to go.
      November 12, 2020 7:06 PM MST

I was under the impression that whole milk is recommended for children, but low-no fat milk for adults.  Thee is little difference between whole milk and 2%, but a big difference between whole and 1%, which is what I buy.  The only reason I don't use fat free (skim) milk is that it's too watery.
      November 13, 2020 9:27 AM MST

I found this article interesting:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/10/03/whole-milk-is-actually-3-5-milk-whats-up-with-that/
      November 13, 2020 9:31 AM MST

Interesting article.  The only thing I take issue with in terms of "milk," is oat milk, almond milk, soy milk - all of which are not ilk at all.  Have you ever seen anyone milk an almond?
      November 13, 2020 9:35 AM MST

I can’t find the little almond nipples no matter how hard I try! And on the oats, it’s even worse!  Grrrrrrr.

November 13, 2020 7:13 PM MST

My point exactly!
      November 14, 2020 8:35 AM MST

It must be a local issue.  It isn't excluded here.  

All the stores I've worked for donated dairy that was nearing or at its expiration date.  Still  perfectly good product.  Because of this, the items donated varied from day to day depending on the previous few days sales (some days there was nothing to donate).
      November 12, 2020 11:11 PM MST

I'm not a milk drinker and have always bought skim milk.  My children grew up with it.  They would come home from other people's homes talking about their thick milk.  If I want chocolate milk or need milk for a recipe, I still buy only skim milk.  That is Thrifty's take on milk.
      November 13, 2020 2:30 AM MST

I’m the exact opposite. We grew up poor, and powdered milk was the staple in our house, whole milk was an occasional luxury. When I moved beyond that experience, whole milk became and has always remained my preference, and I raised my children on it. As such, skim milk, low-fat milk, 2%, and 1% all taste too watery to me, thin milk. I actually refer to whole milk as “the hard stuff” in comparison to its clones. To take advantage of the healthier or supposedly healthier aspects of the watery ones, I mix one part whole milk with 1 part of one of the other varieties if and when I have large quantities of both. 

~

November 13, 2020 5:53 AM MST

Generally the less fat the more vitamins and less cholesterol, sat fat etc.   
    So it is simply healthier to drink lower fat milk. 
      November 13, 2020 5:39 AM MST

You may find this link interesting.

https://www.cornucopia.org/2013/03/whole-milk-or-skim-study-links-fattier-milk-to-slimmer-kids/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvJyMsfP_7AIVCvSzCh1-wganEAAYASAAEgJhNPD_BwE
      November 13, 2020 9:09 AM MST

Actually for pre-school aged kids whole milk is recommended because of the higher levels of cholesterol and something others I do not remember right now.  These higher levels help with their brain development.

I was speaking generally about adults and older children.   Personally we use 2%. 
      November 13, 2020 9:20 AM MST

I never drink milk, and my wife rarely. I haven't even bought any in two months.
      November 13, 2020 9:23 AM MST

We go through a gallon a day. 
      November 13, 2020 9:33 AM MST

Just remember; a baby cow was wrenched away from its mother so you could enjoy the milk meant for the cows baby.  The mother is bred and looses he calf every single time.  The calf and mom have PTSD over it.  They should dye milk blue for sadness. :   ( This post was edited by . at November 13, 2020 4:56 PM MST
      November 13, 2020 2:35 PM MST

To the best of my knowledge, I recall reading some while ago that whole milk wasn't really that bad for you, the increased fat value was found not to have a big impact on people's weight/health etc..  
      November 13, 2020 2:54 PM MST

November 13, 2020 3:05 PM MST