Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » How did things go when you told your parent(s) that you were going to be getting married?

How did things go when you told your parent(s) that you were going to be getting married?

~

Posted - November 16, 2020

Responses

Dad wasn't around at the time; he died when I was 14.

Mum had known Ari for as long as I had, 19 years, and they'd always liked each other, so her reaction was positive.
    When asked to speak at our wedding, Mum said, "If any two people are likely to make a success of their marriage I think it's these two."
    I felt very touched by her confidence in us. At times, remembering it has helped me through difficult patches.
      November 17, 2020 12:13 AM MST

Dad took it in his stride, Mum hit the ceiling - partly due to our youth (I was 19, my bride-to-be was 20) but mostly because I'd confessed that she was pregnant.
      November 17, 2020 1:28 AM MST

We woke my mother up to tell her we were going to a neighboring state to get married.   She was frantic for us to not do that and begged me to get married in the Church.  I told her I didn't care about a wedding but that we would wait two weeks if she wanted to get a wedding together.  I meant it.  I really am glad that we had a little wedding in the Church.  Everyone assumed I was pregnant since it was planned so quickly.  We didn't care.  We went to the Smoky Mountains for a few days and the next year had our real honeymoon with a five weeks in Europe.  That sounds expensive but was cheaper than going to the beach.  At that time everything in Europe was dirt cheap....like great hotel rooms for $4.00......with private bath (a very big deal back then).

November 17, 2020 12:55 PM MST

Mom was ecstatic...she could finally get rid of me.
      November 17, 2020 2:15 PM MST