Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Shopping » Do people really surprise their spouses with new cars for Christmas as in those TV commercials?

Do people really surprise their spouses with new cars for Christmas as in those TV commercials?

Is it even possible or advisable to do such a thing without discussing it first? What if it means a higher insurance bill and five years of loan payments? What if the giftee would rather have selected the car for himself or herself? And GMC even has a commercial where the husband surprises his wife with TWO new trucks, one for each of them. Unless they're filthy rich, who can or would do this?

Posted - November 21, 2020

Responses

I don't know anyone who would do that.
      November 21, 2020 6:12 PM MST

Only those stupid enough to believe those ads. They deserve it, eh.
      November 21, 2020 7:00 PM MST

I know someone who claims her husband did so, but I seriously doubt it was a genuine surprise. At a minimum, there would have been a conversation about dream cars. 
      November 21, 2020 7:41 PM MST

I certainly don’t. I jes’ might get her bus token or a monthly bus pass if she aint ac’in’ right, but homeboy aint springing’ for no danged car for ol’ girl to tool around town spendin’ mah hard-earned duckets. Word!

~

November 22, 2020 2:32 AM MST

Amen, brutha.
      November 22, 2020 5:47 PM MST

My husband came home with a new car "for me" one time.  It is the only car I've had that I didn't love.  And I mean I really really didn't love it.
      November 22, 2020 8:10 AM MST

I've never done it, nor heard of anyone who has.

About thirty years ago, when my sister crashed and wrote off my mother's Citrôen, I asked what Mum would like as a replacement and bought her a Honda Civic. (I was better off in those days.) She looked after it well and kept it for the rest of her life.
      November 22, 2020 3:38 PM MST