Active Now

Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is/was celebrating special occasions with food part of your youth? For Armenians it always involves food. Do you celebrate like that too?

Is/was celebrating special occasions with food part of your youth? For Armenians it always involves food. Do you celebrate like that too?

Not only at holidays like Easter or Thanksgiving or Christmas or Hannukah but other occasions too. Birthdays, anniversaries, special accomplishments or JUST BECAUSE.

I remember my parents belonged to a group whose members would take turns hosting parties. At least once a month they'd all gather together including us kids at someone's house. In the summer we'd gather at the beach and often have breakfast and lunch there and it would be potluck. We'd always go to a specific place in Laguna Beach.  It was a wonderful childhood.

What memories do you have of yours?

Posted - November 25, 2020

Responses

Barbecues. Fish and chip butties at the beach after a day of swimming and surfing. Neither was necessarily a special occasion.

We kids usually made our own entertainment - I was one of seven kids, mum's sister had nine and we saw those cousins fortnightly - either we went to their place or they came to ours. Or both families went to the beach. Parents and younger kids at Austinmer (there's a sandbar that extends for a couple hundred yards, so the waves are gentle), the older kids including me would grab our boards and head around the point to Thirroul where the surfing was better.
      November 25, 2020 4:40 AM MST

That sounds like HEAVEN to me R! So you had a joyful childhood too. How are lucky are we for having had that? Plus we have the great memories. Do you keep in touch with your cousins?  My sister keeps in touch with our last cousin but he is in ill health and lately she tells me his emails are becoming less rational. Sad when that happens. Thank you for sharing that with us! How many children today are getting cheated out of those memories? Happy Wednesday/Thursday! :)
      November 25, 2020 6:00 AM MST

Yes.

On the "summer" holidays (memorial, 4th, labor day), we'd have hot dogs, macaroni/potato salad, potato chips (such luxury), watermelon, and (that rare nectar) soda pop (always Cragmont).  We'd always eat outside at the picnic table - even if it was cold (there were some years we had to put the table at the side of the house to get as much reflected heat as possible).

On our birthday, each person was allowed to choose whatever they wanted for dinner (but it still had to be a balanced meal, otherwise mom would throw in a can of peas).  For dessert, we'd get a gallon of root beer from the local A&W drive-in restaurant, any flavor of ice cream we wanted and our favorite color frosting on a cake (the birthday person got to lick BOTH the beaters AND the frosting bowl). 

To celebrate things like  Doctor appointments, hard days (and such) got us an ice cream cone at Thrifty (if it were an extra special occasion, we'd get to have 2 scoops!!.  For things like the the last day of school, the end of summer vacation, or ga special accomplishment, we got to go to the local ice creamery and have a sundae (I had them invent a marshmallow sundae).  On very rare occasions, we were treated to a real delicacy - a donut from the downtown donut shop.
      November 25, 2020 11:41 AM MST