Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Music » Have you ever wanted to be wrong?

Have you ever wanted to be wrong?

Not really a question, I guess - - just a reason to post my favorite-by-far R.E.M. song.

Today, I'm especially thankful to R.E.M. for this song.

"I Wanted To Be Wrong"

Posted - November 26, 2020

Responses

Yes, when suspecting something and hoping that it’s not true, or at least that it’s not the worst case scenario.

For instance, in the interrogation room at police headquarters just last week, I was getting drilled by detectives . . . 

Randy D: “You’ve been after me on this for three hours now, and I keep telling you that I have never even seen that lady, I have absolutely nothing to do with her disappearance!”

Detective: “We happen to know that’s not true, because we have a video tape showing you as being the last known person seen with her before she disappeared.”

Randy D: “Wait, what?”

Detective: “That’s right. The three-hour delay was a stall tactic while we were getting a judge to sign a search warrant. We understand you keep a pretty interesting setup in that basement of yours . . .”

Randy D: “I want a lawyer, and I’m finished answering questions.”

November 26, 2020 7:50 AM MST

Yikes!

(Where do you find these beautiful women images? Makes me think of that other smiling woman with the phone that I keep commenting about in one of your other posts.  And this guy -- I want to just get close up to him and see if he is okay and offer him a hug. And not in an erotic way -- though that might be enjoyable.
    I know I keep commenting on your images and gifs.) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 28, 2020 7:25 PM MST
      November 26, 2020 2:24 PM MST

Women just seem to follow me around. They can’t help themselves, and I’m powerless to put an end to it. (As much as I would like to.)

~

November 26, 2020 8:18 PM MST

:)
      November 27, 2020 6:54 AM MST

Yes, definitely!!

Most recently, I'm thrilled to have been wrong about who would win the presidential election! 

I genuinely try NOT to be, but I'm afraid that my instinct is to be a 'prepare for the worst, hope for the best' type. :)

November 26, 2020 8:25 AM MST

Your first reason -- I smile.  :)

Your second - - I try to avoid that for myself. I tend to fall into "catastrophizing"- - a tendency to sometimes fall into always looking on the negative side of lifde and / or "creating"/'fabricating" negative things that are not even true.  :)

And, again - - I just love this song!  :)
      November 26, 2020 2:27 PM MST

I hear you! It's hard to be a cheery, positive person if you're always thinking about all the bad things that might happen. I really don't know how I manage it!  HAHA! 

November 28, 2020 7:24 PM MST

By my other comment, I forgot to mention that preparing for possible stuff seems wise. I admit that in some ways I'm not so good at planning.
      November 27, 2020 6:54 AM MST

Many times.
      November 27, 2020 7:34 PM MST

I probably have, too.

At the moment, I just equate it all with great thoughts about the song. (And the phrase, within the song, is used interesting ways to me. I admit I'm unsure of the song's meaning.)
      November 28, 2020 7:40 PM MST

Lots of people have felt it at least once in their lives.

Now, don't get the idea I have loved a lot of married men.   But I have known the answer before asking a question so many times hoping my educated guess was wrong.  So often I was and am right when I wish it not to be so.   This post was edited by Thriftymaid at November 29, 2020 10:24 AM MST
      November 29, 2020 10:17 AM MST