Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Malizz
Spunky
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Friday, December 4, 2020 Riverside Press Enterprise (california). "SHUTDOWN IMMINENT AS ICU BEDS FILL UP". Your town's headlines?

Friday, December 4, 2020 Riverside Press Enterprise (california). "SHUTDOWN IMMINENT AS ICU BEDS FILL UP". Your town's headlines?

Posted - December 4, 2020

Responses

"Suicide attempt leads to Highway 20 shutdown".

Someone intentionally running their car into a big rig,thereby forcing the closure of a major artery is big news around here.

December 4, 2020 11:50 AM MST

No virus stuff? Didn't Newsom tighten restrictions for the entire state? Anyone not living with you is allowed to enter your home due to what's happnening down here vis a vis COVID. I'm delighted it isn't about more fires or shutting off your electricity. FOR A CHANGE. Thank you for your reply Shuhak and Happy Saturday to you. STAY SAFE! :)
      December 5, 2020 1:58 AM MST

The virus stuff isn't headline anymore.  It's just "regular" news.  (again, this is a small town).

Yes.  Some areas have even tighter restrictions that others.  This area falls under the "Greater Sacramento Area".  

Ah, but they are turning off the power again early Monday.  2020 - the year that just won't quit!
      December 5, 2020 12:09 PM MST

They changed their "mind" right? No power off today unless they decide to switch back? I don't know how you stay caught up with what they're gonna do. They keep flipflopping so fast you're gonna get a neckache! Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      December 7, 2020 5:00 AM MST

I got the call around 3:30 yesterday afternoon.  They said weather conditions had "changed" so they were canceling the planned PSPS. (yeah, right!) Well, at least the burn ban has been reinstated until further notice.  
      December 7, 2020 10:23 AM MST

Thank goodness. You won one. And maybe your neighbor won't start burning stuff again to crap up the air. Geez Shuhak "if it's not one thing it's another". Anyway hopefully these 3 weeks go by quickly. We go to the market today. I have no idea what to expect. I read that tons of folks fled to stores on Sunday to buy stuff before the 11:59pm Sunday night deadline. SIGH. Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 8, 2020 9:08 AM MST
      December 8, 2020 7:35 AM MST

• The local news stories here are:

The city council estimates it must cut ARS 65.000.000.000 (USD 796.003.650) from the budget.

The City of Buenos Aires will give names to unnamed streets in the Mugica neighborhood.

The city council proposed renaming Avenida Boyacá for Diego Armando Maradona.
      December 4, 2020 9:38 PM MST

Hi Sirena. Nice to hear from you. So your country's headlines are not even mentioning the COVID 19 virus? Goodness I hope that means your country is doing well compared to America and other countries.I WISH our headlines were comparable to yours...budgets and naming streets. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to you and yours. STAY SAFE m'dear! :)
      December 5, 2020 1:54 AM MST

• I may have misunderstood your question.  I think I understood it in the same way Shuhak and Slartibartfast did.  COVID-19 remains the number one national news story and the number one world news story.    The number two national story here was the death of Diego Armando Maradona, a football star.  I understood "Your town's headlines" to mean the stories from the city section of the newspaper.

For COVID-19 cases per capita, Argentina has the same rate as the United States.

December 5, 2020 8:39 AM MST

No worries Sirena. Condolences for your matching our miserable reality vis a vis COVID. Thank you for your reply! :)
      December 5, 2020 8:44 AM MST

"Fraser Island residents ordered to evacuate as bushfire continues to rage out of control".

Yep, we're on fire. Again.
      December 5, 2020 2:01 AM MST

OMG. Not again. Condolences very bigly. I can relate of course. How many have to evacuate? A few or a ton? Just what everyone needs right now. Right. High winds and heat? Any idea how it started? When  it will be contained? Saying "take care, STAY SAFE" seems almost sarcastic in the face of what's out there beyond y our control. How can you stay safe if your environment insists on being UNSAFE? I don't know but I will send my best thoughts to Fraser Island and the residents. Thank you for your reply R. It's hard to know how to react to the stuff that keeps happening without our permission.
      December 5, 2020 8:58 AM MST