Active Now

Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Language » Overheard spoken by the teacher of the Creative Writing course, “There’s something extra in it if you can make it look like an incident.”

Overheard spoken by the teacher of the Creative Writing course, “There’s something extra in it if you can make it look like an incident.”

~

Posted - December 10, 2020

Responses

The entire class was shocked when she began to write then stopped. What happened?  Why did she look down at the floor? Did she see something that surprised her? And why does she have that silly grin on her face? Is she pointing at the ground with the chalk for some reason?  Have aliens taken over her brain and rendered her mentally helpless. Has she noticed her blackboard is pixelized and she just can't go on trying to avoid the sharp edges?  I think she is trying to relay a message with her rapid blinking; either it's 2+2 or maybe she is just saying 2.  2 blinks twice while she points at the floor.  I think I know what it is.  There are 2 invisible aliens on the floor and 2 more by the board OR maybe they are all on the floor....the horror of it all!

Do I win a prize?

This post was edited by . at December 10, 2020 8:22 PM MST
      December 10, 2020 2:18 PM MST

Of course you get the prize, but you didn’t win it, you EARNED it!
    ~

December 10, 2020 2:33 PM MST

OOOOO you liked my incident then?
      December 10, 2020 3:03 PM MST

The well-spent intent of your written incident didn’t get rent unnoticed when I went to circumvent what you meant by that mint-quality invent of yours.
    ~

December 10, 2020 7:19 PM MST

When you are satirical it is quite a lyrical miracle. 
      December 11, 2020 7:47 AM MST

Makes no sense.
    If it's not an incident what is it?
    If it is, there's no difficulty showing how it looked, sounded, smelt, felt, etc,
    Since showing is the art of good writing, why would there be anything extra in it?
    Maybe she's talking to the dunce class - trying to motivate them.
      December 10, 2020 4:36 PM MST

You might be taking it much more seriously than it deserves.

A good plot seeks to first of all introduce one or more of the three types of conflict; man against nature, man against man, or man against himself. That is the creation of the incident or the incidents that then will need to be resolved (or not resolved) as the story continues to unfold.

This entire post is merely a tongue-in-cheek play on words using the juxtaposition of an old adage and the main tool used to achieve the goal or intent of fiction writing.

December 10, 2020 7:28 PM MST

Yep -I know you do tongue in cheek as an artform. :)

Okay, I'll have a shot. The incident is the teacher's challenge.

Molly Malone hurries into the noise of the classroom, juggling her papers, hand bag, cell phone and laptop. She trips on an electric lead and the whole lot scatters across the floor. She falls.

Across the classroom, the chat is cut by gasps and a half squeal. Philip Wu collects Molly's things to place them on the table. Janelle and Andy, who happen to be closest, try to help Molly up but it turns out she can't put any weight on her left foot. 

"I'll call an ambulance!" says Maria Camillieri as she reaches for her phone.

"No, no!" says Molly. She hops over to a table and seats herself.  "It's only a bit of pain - I can wait to get it seen. This is perfect. There's something extra in it if you can all write this up exactly the way you experienced it. The best three will get to read their work at the Pink Flamingo Writers Salon next Wednesday evening. I want you to use every experience you have, no matter how mundane, as an opportunity to write."

This post was edited by inky at December 10, 2020 10:33 PM MST
      December 10, 2020 10:28 PM MST