Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Music » Sane and answerable question #5: How much does the music featured in a film or TV program factor into your enjoyment of it?

Sane and answerable question #5: How much does the music featured in a film or TV program factor into your enjoyment of it?

Posted - December 19, 2020

Responses

Since most have music it is hard to choose an answer. There are a few shows where the music drowns out the dialog, though. Very annoying.
      December 19, 2020 8:41 PM MST

I think it sometimes makes the movie. I'm half-watching an Adam Sandler movie and the music completely makes it watchable. 

Yes, I know what you mean about that. And sometimes it makes the volume way too loud all the sudden, too. 
      December 19, 2020 8:49 PM MST

Indeed. Adam Sandler was considered the worst highly payed actor. He is awful and I avoid his movies. He and Will Ferrel.
      December 19, 2020 8:55 PM MST

Some great 80's classics in his movies, though. Especially if you like Styx. 
      December 20, 2020 4:41 PM MST

I agree there are too many instances where the music drowns the dialogue - the happens in you tube videos sometimes too, but it can be damned irritating and is so unnecessary. Do the producers see no problem or do they simply not vet the finished result before broadcasting. It is one of those conundrums of the age for me. 
      December 19, 2020 8:59 PM MST

In some circumstances it can be make or break and it can also make a good production truly an uplifting experience. The main theme for the film 'The Village' (called 'The Gravel Road', music by James Newton Howard) is perfect for the kind of story it is. Another film where music makes the film was 'Electric Dreams'. But camera-craft, in TV productions in particular, are something I look for and respond to. The British TV series 'Vera' is a wonderful experience for its impeccable photography. Even if Geordie is sometimes hard for me to interpret. The compositions of the shots are impeccable and one wonders what that expert photographic artist turns his hand to at other times. For both the appropriate music and for dropping one into the absolutely spot-on ambience of the time and place, the recent production of 'Maigret', with Rowan Atkinson as the famous French detective, hits the spot for me.  
      December 19, 2020 8:55 PM MST

The song makes me want to watch the film! 

I absolutely agree with what you're saying. I love when it all comes together and makes something you like into something you love! 

Thanks for your reply!
      December 20, 2020 4:40 PM MST

Stemmata, you write beautifully!

(Excuse me, everyone. I’ll need a moment. Something is stuck in my eye. Sniff, sob.)

~

December 21, 2020 8:16 AM MST

A lot.  The music dates a movie oftentimes when the story takes place in the past.    With more recent TV shows I've watched/tried to watch on Netflix the trend of increasing and decreasing the music volume drastically is unbearable for me.  If I have to constantly change the volume in an effort to hear the dialogue or to simply not have such loud noise I just refuse to watch.  Older TV shows didn't do that, I find.  I don't find it to be as prevalent in movies, but it is not absent.  For me it falls into the stupid category.  My hearing is near perfect......just had a battery of tests in effort to determine  cause of vertigo and tinnitus.......so don't even! 
      December 20, 2020 1:34 PM MST

I love finding new music and rediscovering classics that have faded from my memory while watching. I definitely agree about the volume of music and even other background sounds and sound effects. It's maddening! 

I've never had mine tested. It would actually be interesting to have it done. Based on how low I keep the volume on my TV (always too low for anyone else to hear properly, apparently) and my intolerance of seeing films in a theater without earplugs, would be intriguing to see what an official screening would reveal. I've wondered if, with age, I might begin to hear more typically. I have a good friend with a significant hearing impairment and I've often wished I could give her some of my seemingly enhanced ability to hear and we'd both be better off! 
      December 20, 2020 4:30 PM MST

Very similar story.  The last time I tried to watch a film in a cinema was 2012.  I was with my sister.  We sat in the balcony on the first row.  Between the action on screen making me nauseated and dizzy and noise so loud I was keeping my fingers in my ears, about 15 minutes into it I started crying and told her to stay but I was going to the lobby.  My family still makes fun of me about this.  The attempt before that was around 2004....same experience.  I was with my daughter and, oh my Lord she was relentless with the mocking.  

I now own ear plugs...a whole box of them.  I have never once used them.  I don't go anywhere that's noisy.  But if I decide to, I'm prepared.  :)
      December 21, 2020 5:58 PM MST

I think it's intriguing to run into people who have the same quirks/sensory issues/oddities, whatever you want to call it. I wonder if there's a bionic hearing support group somewhere? :)

I carry ear plugs in my purse, no joke. I have used them for TV watching with others and even at seminars when the mic is up too loud.

I hope you're laughing with your family through this. If not, that's mean. We've made a joke of it over the years and it doesn't bother me at all. I like to think of it as a superpower that I wish I had better control over! My brain is known to scream "TOO LOUD" quite often. 
      December 22, 2020 4:06 PM MST

Oh yeah,  I'm always laughing during the mockery.  It's not like they don't have things I can tease them about.    I probably should put a couple of the plugs in my purse, but really, since I'm retired I don't have to be anywhere I don't want to.  It's a great part of life.  Eventually health issues will perhaps surface, but for now I am loving it.
      December 22, 2020 6:16 PM MST

That's good! 

May you enjoy many healthy and happy years of retirement!
      December 22, 2020 6:36 PM MST

This makes me think of two movies in particular that most likely wouldn’t have been as popular without their soundtracks: “The Big Chill”, and its Afrocentric version and predecessor, “Cooley High”, the latter of which might be largely unknown outside of the demographic* that enjoyed it the most. The nostalgia that is intertwined into the plots due to the song selection is by far the vehicle that makes the movies memorable, and that takes into account that the plots themselves are strong enough to make for good movies even without the soundtracks that were chosen. Furthermore, had new music or original music been featured instead of songs that took viewers back to their childhoods and high school sweethearts and first dates and breakups and hookups and other sweet/bittersweet memories, the impact of these movies would not have been embedded so deeply in our psyches as they were.

“Cooley High” (1975)

Tracklist

A1 Diana RossThe Supremes Baby Love 2:39 A2 Stevie Wonder Fingertips 5:27 A3 Four Tops I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) 2:41 A4 Diana RossThe Supremes Stop! In The Name Of Love 2:51 A5 Luther Allison Luther's Blues 6:10 B1 Martha Reeves & The Vandellas Dancing In The Street 2:38 B2 The Marvelettes Beachwood 45789 2:07 B3 Smokey Robinson & The Miracles OOO Baby Baby 2:42 B4 Smokey Robinson & The Miracles (You Can) Depend On Me 3:06 B5 Jr. Walker & The All Stars* Cleo's Mood 2:40 B6 Barrett Strong Money (That's What I Want) 2:32 C1 Mary Wells You Beat Me To The Punch 2:42 C2 Freddie Perren 2 Pigs And A Hog 1:46 C3 The Temptations My Girl 2:54 C4 Freddie Perren Sweet First Love 1:12 C5 Freddie Perren Three AM...I Love You Mama 2:10 C6 Jr. Walker & The All Stars* (I'm A) Road Runner 2:45 D1 Smokey Robinson & The Miracles Mickey's Monkey 2:47 D2 Freddie Perren Haulin' 1:20 D3 Freddie Perren Cold Blooded 1:15 D4 G. C. Cameron* It's So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday
    Written-By – C. Yarin*, F. Perren*
    3:13 D5 Four Tops Reach Out I'll Be There 3:00

“The Big Chill” (1983)

Tracklist

A1 Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine
    Written-By – Barrett StrongNorman Whitfield
    5:03 A2 The Temptations My Girl
    Written-By – Ronald WhiteWilliam Robinson, Jr.
    2:55 A3 The Rascals Good Lovin'
    Written-By – Arthur ResnickRudy Clark
    2:28 A4 Smokey Robinson & The Miracles The Tracks Of My Tears
    Written-By – Marvin TarplinWarren MooreWilliam Robinson, Jr.
    2:53 A5 Three Dog Night Joy To The World
    Producer – Richard A. Podolor*Written-By – Hoyt Axton
    3:24 B1 The Temptations Ain't To Proud To Beg
    Written-By – Edward Holland, Jr.Norman Whitfield
    2:31 B2 Aretha Franklin (You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman
    Written-By – Carole King / Gerry Gofin*, Jerry Wexler
    2:41 B3 Smokey Robinson & The Miracles I Second That Emotion
    Written-By – Alfred Cleveland*, William Robinson, Jr.
    2:46 B4 Procol Harum A Whiter Shade Of Pale
    Written-By – Gary BrookerKeith Reid
    4:03 B5 The Exciters Tell Him
    Written-By – Bert Russell
    2:29

*I intentionally declined to use the term “target demographic” because I believe it perpetuates an assumption that certain entertainment/media projects should only be limited to narrow audiences or should be restricted from consumption by all audiences, both of which are factors in decreased broadcasting and in turn, decreased exposure of on-screen and off-screen talent, and decreased profits/revenues for the well-deserved.

December 20, 2020 4:05 PM MST

I get your point but I might disagree, as far as my own movie experiences, I've not been similarly affected by various song choices.
    I know I'm in the minority, because I've heard others say similar things about songs in movies as you have here but I've rarely, if ever, been strongly attached to a movie due to whatever collection of pop-or-whatever genre of songs are thrown into a movie. I much more am impacted to movies that completely (or almost completely) rely on original music scores.
    :) 

But I do really like SO many of those songs in "Cooley High"!  :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 20, 2020 9:14 PM MST
      December 20, 2020 7:27 PM MST

Welby, old pal, I made several points in my post, so I do not know which one or ones with which you disagree. Please clarify. 

I tried to stress that I am NOT of the opinion that the song selections fully made these movies as good as they are, as a lot of people believe, instead, I think they’re very great scripts that were acted very well and both movies stand up highly on their own even without the music. Had the music been original songs written specifically for the movies, for instance, as opposed to these classic songs, the movies would have done well and been memorable box-office hits. The slam-dunk was making the song classics fit the story and the story fit the song classics. If you’ll notice, the songs don’t connect directly as a plot device, but they are certainly background mood-setting devices, sort of a tacit peek inside the characters’ thoughts and dilemmas and desires and regrets and secrets.
    ~

December 20, 2020 9:14 PM MST

As much as I try to avoid apologizing, here I am again, apologizing. :)

You're right in your answer and your reply to me.

I wrote my original reply after many several long days and nights of work and they will only continue for me in the upcoming week. Accept my regret. I was not clearly reading.

I did not closely enough read your detailed answer. I just sat on my love for original scores to movies. I guess that's pretty much my not-so-great explanation.

Back to work. Don't know exactly when I'll be back but my best to you and all. :)

Merry Christmas and all the other holidays!

I'll be back, just unsure of when in this upcoming week.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 21, 2020 5:10 PM MST
      December 21, 2020 6:00 AM MST

Merry Christmas to you also, my friend!

No need to apologize, everything is fine. We’ll see you when you return, bye!
    ~
      December 21, 2020 8:10 AM MST

Thanks.
    Merry Christmas to you and Happy New Year, too.
      January 1, 2021 3:59 PM MST

I've never seen (or even heard of) 'Cooley High'. Probably a combination of demographical factors. Looks like a good soundtrack. 

I haven't seen The Big Chill in years. Great soundtrack, I agree with you that it makes the film. 
      December 20, 2020 4:16 PM MST

Very much so.

And, call me a prude, but even since being very young, I have much preferred an original music score written specifically for the movie by a composer - - NOT just a meaningless (to me) hodgepodge of pop-or-whatever songs by various artists thrown together into a movie. I have. over 200 original movie score/soundtracks.

Two scores particularly have impacted me for life in a great way:

Bernard Herrmann's score of Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho"

and

Jerry Goldsmith's score for Richard Donner's "The Omen"

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 21, 2020 5:10 PM MST
      December 20, 2020 7:18 PM MST

You’re a prude! 

(J/k.)

~

December 21, 2020 8:18 AM MST