Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Language » The expression is “one-trick pony”, not “one-horse pony”, right? The one-horse reference is to a small town.

The expression is “one-trick pony”, not “one-horse pony”, right? The one-horse reference is to a small town.

~

Posted - December 23, 2020

Responses

A "one-horse town" was a town so small it had only one horse.  Contrary to what many people might think, in the old days not everyone owned a horse or horses so that was possible. A "one-trick pony" I think is a a pony that only knows how to do one trick, so once we have seen that trick there can only be repetition from it.  But I think better one horse than no horses and better to know one trick than none at all.  After all what do we expect of life - a vaudeville show?  
      December 23, 2020 9:14 AM MST

You are correct on both counts as to how the expressions are supposed to be said, and on their meanings. Now which one of us gets to tell Joe Biden? Apparently, the concept escapes him. LOL.

MIXED METAPHORS
    “President-elect Joe Biden mixed up his metaphors when he fired back at Fox News reporter Peter Doocy at the end of his Tuesday afternoon press conference. Doocy, who has continuously lobbed questions at Biden over the investigation into his son Hunter, asked the incoming president if he still felt that reports revolving around his son’s laptop and emails were a Russian disinformation smear campaign.

”Yes, yes, yes! God love you, man! You are a one-horse pony,” Biden exclaimed as he walked off stage.

___

December 23, 2020 9:22 AM MST

I like it. It's rocket surgery.
      December 23, 2020 11:03 AM MST

I see what you did there, Professor.  Well played, very well played indeed. 

December 23, 2020 1:12 PM MST

Maybe he hadn't had his cofevfe yet. We'd better investigate the oranges, the oranges, the beginnings of this story. 

Even Trump admirers have to admit it's hilarious that Trump kept saying 'orange' mistakenly of all things, considering his hue of choice!!!

I expect we'll see more mixed metaphors from President Biden, God love him! 
      December 23, 2020 6:09 PM MST

I think it is such a waste of time when the media reports on every slip of the tongue, whether it's Biden's 'one-horse pony' or Trump's 'herd mentality'. Anyone can have a slip of the tongue and it isn't news and it isn't a sign of dementia. This post was edited by Jane S at December 24, 2020 10:52 AM MST
      December 23, 2020 7:41 PM MST

Good points, I hadn’t considered that angle, thank you.
    ~
      December 24, 2020 7:18 AM MST

Well put!
      December 24, 2020 9:07 AM MST

Thank you.
      December 24, 2020 9:27 AM MST

I've heard one-horse show. 
      December 24, 2020 4:32 AM MST

You’re correct, thank you.
    ~
      December 24, 2020 7:17 AM MST