Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Weather » My wife, who is from St. Vincent and the Grenadines in the Caribbean, says winter is "cold like a dog's nose hole."

My wife, who is from St. Vincent and the Grenadines in the Caribbean, says winter is "cold like a dog's nose hole."

What are your favorite colorful descriptions of weather?

Posted - December 27, 2020

Responses

The Spanish version of “it’s raining cats and dogs” translates to “it’s raining pitchers”. Está lloviendo a cántaros.

Whenever I say it to Spanish speakers, they’re amazed that I know such a deeply cultural reference and ask me where and how I learned about it.
    ~

December 27, 2020 10:48 AM MST

Where and how did you learn about it?
      December 27, 2020 11:10 AM MST

You’re not a native Spanish speaker, so you’re not allowed to be amazed or to ask me that. Reported. 

(J/k!)

No, seriously now, I am almost as enamored by the nuances of the Spanish language as I am with the English language, which has led me to delve as deeply as possible into learning and using even the most intricate, well-hidden, oldest, most profound, and even most shocking references that a foreigner normally wouldn’t know or even understand. Of course, that doesn’t mean I know all of them, and definitely not as many as native speakers know. Sometimes my use of them falls flat when I get the context wrong, when I mispronounce something, when I direct it to the wrong class of person, things like that.  I love learning new ones all the time.

December 27, 2020 12:53 PM MST

When I lived in a rural area, the locals said a heavy downpour was 'like a cow peeing on a flat rock'.
      December 27, 2020 11:11 AM MST

Colder than a witch's t*t.
      December 27, 2020 1:04 PM MST

That's the oldest one in the book!
      December 27, 2020 1:43 PM MST

I'm a Boomer!
      December 27, 2020 9:41 PM MST

In a brass bra.
      December 27, 2020 2:42 PM MST

Crystalline dihydrogen monoxide is gravitating toward the surface of the earth at a most heinous rate.
      December 27, 2020 1:05 PM MST

Brass monkey weather (raw cold). From "Cold enough to freeze the b+++s off a brass monkey". I have no idea of its origin; and can't imagine why a cold day might castrate a brazen simian.

Perishing -  for describing brass -monkey weather in  polite company.

Baby weather (wet and windy.)

Lazy wind - the sort of cold Winter breeze that feels as if it's cutting through rather than going round, you.

Bracing - a euphemism for a cold, sharp breeze or chilly sea-water; often associated with the gritted-teeth "we're-here-so-enjoy-it" English seaside resorts on the chilly North Sea rather than the balmier Southern and West coasts.

British regional dialects include the Northern English siling down, for when it's raining cats and dogs; and pea-souper, (London, I think) for dense fog, or maybe more especially the smog now virtually unknown there.
      January 29, 2021 3:14 PM MST