Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » So WE KNOW Russia hacked us and we KNOW what departments were hacked. Why don't we know what info they stole?

So WE KNOW Russia hacked us and we KNOW what departments were hacked. Why don't we know what info they stole?

Allegedly we still don't know what was or was not taken/stolen/accessed.

So when folks hack and leave tracks of that why don't they also leave tracks of what they were after and took?

I don't get it.

Can you steal top secret info without anyone ever being the wiser?

Either we know what's going on with our vital top secrets or we don't.

Living in the land of "MAYBE" isn't working very well for us is it?

So the hackers are way more intelligent than we are since they figured out a way to attack us through other service companies. I don't envy those who job it is to PREVENT stuff like that from happening. But that it went on for what 6-9 MONTHS and they are still in there somewhere and we have no idea what they know now they didn't know before it seems to me we ae being played bigly continuously and dangerously.

Posted - January 3, 2021

Responses

I read an eye-opening article in today's New York Times about how much worse the Russian hacking is than was first believed.  This is really scary stuff when you think how easy it was for them to do it and how widespread it became before it was detected at all.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/02/us/politics/russian-hacking-government.html
      January 3, 2021 8:05 AM MST

Thank you for the reply and the link L. Of course the dead "head" says it's China or that 400 lb pimply faced hormone raging fat boy in his back bedroom. Scary stuff and the dead "head" refuses to deal with it. All he can think of is himself. Can't teach an old dog new tricks especially when it has gone mad! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 4, 2021 2:01 AM MST
      January 3, 2021 8:13 AM MST

Well, you know they do put down rabid dogs. :)
      January 3, 2021 2:49 PM MST

TRue dat. But that old rabid dog has miles to go before he sleeps and lots of legal troubles that will drown him or bury him before he sleeps. That is the terror driving him like a wild loose cannon. We need to see it play out to its conclusion. The noose is tightening around his fat neck. He feels the pressure. It's gonna get way better vis a vis what lengths he will go to in order to "survive". Which he won't. Nor will all those who opted to go along with him. I hope. Thank you for your reply L! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 4, 2021 5:50 AM MST
      January 4, 2021 2:03 AM MST

I see the escalation already.  Heaven only knows what he's capable of doing before January 20.
      January 4, 2021 5:50 AM MST

Here we are in august and HE is kinda quiet. So much going on in Afghanistan and with COVID and Natural tragedies he has slipped out of the news temporarily I expect. Thank you for your reply back then! :)
      August 27, 2021 4:44 AM MDT

Let's hope he doesn't slip back in.
      August 27, 2021 4:52 AM MDT

From your lips to the universe may it be so! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      August 27, 2021 5:00 AM MDT

Maybe because the info stolen connected Trump with working with the Russians to try and win the 2020 election. Or maybe because the the  information stolen puts America in grave danger so the hacking could be considerd a act of war which would put Trump on the spot to speak out agaist Putin or show Americans that he is a traitor. Cheers!
      January 3, 2021 3:35 PM MST

The dead "head" mafia don will always be an anomaly. Peculiar. Queer. Mad. He represents the best of the worst of the most selfish evildoers ever manufactured. I don't know what factory "made" him but hopefully they are out of business. They do shoddy crappy defective work. Thank you for your reply Nanoose! :)
      January 4, 2021 2:06 AM MST

There are two aspects to that.

Firstly, if the hackers are sufficiently skilled they may be able to leave no evidence of what they obtained. I don't imagine the attackers removed data, but copied them. It is in their interest to cover their traces as much as possible by leaving the compromised material unaffected. In the olden days of data on paper, spies photographed or otherwise copied documents and objects, not stole them.   

Secondly, it might be self-defeating for the victim to reveal much about what was actually taken, or more likely copied. If nothing else that would proves to the attacker, the success of his actions. On the other hand I suppose being more forthcoming would show the attacker that his methods were not as secret as he thought.

I would be surprised if the various Security people involved do not know, or cannot work out, most of what was compromised; but since protecting sensitive information includes need-to-know access, their knowledge will very likely itself be tightly compartmented.
      January 4, 2021 3:12 PM MST