Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » What is ONE prescribed medication you have ever had to take yet wish that you didn’t, and why?

What is ONE prescribed medication you have ever had to take yet wish that you didn’t, and why?

~

Posted - January 7, 2021

Responses

Who wants to take medication?  Unless it's, you know... from the dispensary. 

January 7, 2021 8:30 PM MST

Well, you certainly bring up an interesting question, it deserves an answer. I’ll give an example. 

When I was in the military and serving overseas in a Third-World country (which will remain unnamed here), my unit was in the field for an exercise that lasted about two weeks. Malaria was rampant there, so we had been on malaria pills for weeks before our arrival and had to continue taking them for a specified period after we left. We all went through medical evaluation protocols for a myriad of things specific to that area long before our arrival. Anyone in the unit who was susceptible to malaria yet could not take the pills for whatever medical reason was not sent in. Our malaria pills were considered a “controlled item”, meaning they were issued daily to each man individually and logged in to keep a record of it. If any man contracted malaria, the first action was to check the logbooks to see his track record of taking or not taking pills. Each unit was issued an exact of pills-per-man-per-day.

The local villagers often traded with the Marines in my unit, and one thing they wanted from us was medications. We were on strict orders not to give, sell, trade or in any other way provide any medications to them because not being medical professionals, we were in no position to do so.

Many of the villagers didn’t understand why we, individual Marines, didn’t just give them malaria pills willy-nilly. They reasoned that the US government was strong and rich (financially), and that we were just being stingy and mean. Malaria ravaged the native people in larger numbers than it did we Americans, but there was also a deeper problem, colloquially called The Smallpox Blanket Syndrome.  We could not introduce anything that might unknowingly backfire on them, so even if we had extra pills, no one wanted to be a Typhoid Mary. 

Our Battalion Aid Station set up a clinic where the Corpsmen (medics, to laymen) under the supervision of the Battalion Surgeon would hold cursory medical exams to assist villagers with minor medical problems.

Those villagers would have gladly taken medication that would help slow down, treat, or stop the disease that was knocking them down left and right.

~

January 7, 2021 9:03 PM MST

I was thinking 'big picture' on this one. I meant, that I think most of us would wish for there to be no need for medication. Plus was making a cannabis reference. 

Yes, so thankful for the existence of medications! Yes, completely understand being grateful! Many times there is a blessing/curse relationship with medications (side effects, many devastating), but still very grateful. 
      January 8, 2021 4:37 PM MST

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. 

~

January 8, 2021 4:43 PM MST

January 8, 2021 4:45 PM MST

Thank you.
    That was an exceptionally interesting snippet of Navy life.
    I guess between the lines that you would probably have loved it if the USA had been able and willing to supply anti-malaria drugs at the correct rate to everyone in that third world country.

January 10, 2021 5:09 AM MST

(Navy life Marine life)

GRRRRRRRRRRR! Of course, you have no way of knowing it, but one of the worst things a person can do is call a Marine a Sailor or call a Sailor a Marine. Well, calling a Marine a Soldier is up there pretty far too. 

Marines — US Marine Corps
    Sailors — US Navy
    Soldiers — US Army
    Airmen* — US Air Force
    Coastguardsmen* — US Coast Guard

*Caveat: under new “political correctness” and “progressivenism“ (sic), the use of the suffix -man or -men is considered a crime, I believe. 

January 10, 2021 7:07 AM MST

We call the 'coasties.
      January 10, 2021 11:10 AM MST

Yes, I agree that Coasties is one of the many slang terms and/or nicknames attributed to members of the Coast Guard (just as each service has numerous slang terms and nicknames for its members too), but it’s not an official designation. 
    ~

January 10, 2021 4:33 PM MST

Effexor.  I had a "bad reaction"

Because of my depression and suicidal tendencies, I was prescribed the drug Effexor.  I took a very small amount of it and went to work as usual at 3am.  By 4am I started to feel warm and good.  By 5, my legs started to give out and I had a hard time staying upright.  Some coworkers took me to the break room and sat me in a chair.  I remember seeing several coworkers coming by every few minutes to keep an eye on me.    By 6, I was was in la la land (high as a kite), lying on the floor grabbing the pretty little lights flashing around me.  A coworker drove me home and put me to bed. The rest of the day was "weeeeeee", but by evening the last of the drug had worked its way out of my system.
      January 7, 2021 10:50 PM MST

Wow, I’m sorry you went through all of that.

January 7, 2021 11:09 PM MST

Methadone. Nothing less provided sufficient surcease from pain to let me sleep. I was without it for a week (doctor was on holiday), at the end of that week I was hallucinating.
    Yes, I got addicted. Following the surgery, I deliberately went through hell getting clean.
      January 8, 2021 2:01 AM MST

I was prescribed codeine for an infected wisdom tooth until I could get to see an oral surgeon.  It made me feel as though someone had sheared off the top of my head.  That pain was worse than the toothache.
      January 8, 2021 6:40 AM MST

I have never had a bad reaction to any meds otc or prescribed.

I do not like taking meds and avoid at all costs.
      January 8, 2021 7:36 AM MST

Metoprolol, a BP and heart rate stabilizer. I wish I didn't have to take it because that would mean I never had that damned heart attack.
      January 8, 2021 8:52 AM MST

I am thankful for every single medication I take.  Thinking about people a mere 100 years ago they would gladly trade places to elevate their suffering and disabilities. Of course 100 years in the future things will look much different and I would gladly trade places to take advantage their medical breakthroughs and cures.  We use what we have at the time. 
      January 8, 2021 9:56 AM MST

Antidepressants.
    1. I would rather that I'd never been so depressed that I needed an SSRI.
    2. I regret that I was on it for six years; the recommended max is 2 years.
    The onset of negative side effects, (loss of libido, loss of fear and caution and loss of ability to perceive risk), was so slow and gradual I didn't recognise the cause till it was too late.
    After I weaned myself off Aropax, the drives I'd lost returned.
    Now, much as I dislike feeling fear, I appreciate how necessary it is to a healthy and functional life.
      January 10, 2021 5:04 AM MST

Yep...no fear means you might want to cuddle with those pesky Brown Snakes.
      January 10, 2021 11:13 AM MST