Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » What is the hardest work that you make your computer do?

What is the hardest work that you make your computer do?

Posted - January 23, 2021

Responses

Well, according to the way it acts, turning on is agonizing work.

Pushing the "on" button is like starting a car-  er...err...er...er.  (Push the button again).  Er…err…errrr…whirr... vroom!  The radiator fan springs to life.  This is followed by loud groans and clicks.  It’s as if its saying, did someone really turn me on or am I still dreaming.  Well, deciding this must be very arduous decision, as it has to think and think and think ... and then think some more, before the words, “welcome to Windows” appear on the screen.  Then, for some reason, it changes its mind and the words vanish, leaving the screen dark once again.  The thing must have hot flashes, as its radiator fan is constantly changing speeds – fast, then slow, then very fast, then medium fast, then slow, then fast….  Suddenly, a small blue circle that looks like it’s chasing itself appears in the middle of the screen.  After a flurry of clicks and groans, the fan just stops.  Di-did the computer just have a heart attack?  Is that even possible?  The entire computer is completely silent.  Even the small blue circle is gone.  As I start to bow my head in respect for the dead, the radiator fan suddenly roars back to life and the desktop background busts upon the screen.  Once again, the little blue circle takes its place in the center of the screen, happily chasing its tail.

As the computer begins to whir, the fan gets louder and louder and louder, until its road becomes nearly deafening.  Is this thing on steroids?  Did my coffee get spilled in it?  Just when I think it’s going to explode, the fan simply dies down to a loud hum, and the desktop icons slowly appear... one by one by one by....  Once the last icon finally appears, they all vanish again, only to reappear completely white.  (makes me wonder if my computer’s a racist.)  As the circle continues to chase its tail, the icons get back their color... one by one by one by....  Once the last icon finally turns "normal", the circle turns into an arrow.  Well, I guess the computer didn’t get something quite right, because at this point the icons quickly vanish and the entire process starts all over again; only this time, there’s no circle or arrow.

At last the fan dies down to a steady dull hum, with only a few occasional clicks being emitted by the computer.  The cursor is an arrow and all is well… at least until you touch the mouse.  Suddenly, a smaller circle appears haloing the arrow (still chasing its tail); as the radiator fan begins to roar… and the icons once again turn white. 

January 23, 2021 1:29 PM MST

Very good episode, thanks.
      January 23, 2021 1:56 PM MST

Searching for positive (or even neutral) photos or videos of Black people is an arduous task that computers seem to falter at completing. 

January 23, 2021 7:41 PM MST

Shuhak - that is inspired!

For a while at work my section used a local network of PCs running SUN Microsystems PCs with their own version of Windows (which I believe was an IBM, not Microsoft, Invention).

These were very powerful things, linked to a server in its own den, but you had to know computing, especially command-line operating, to use them effectively as there were none of the bells and whistles MS produces. Nor any of the ornamentation and gimmicks pretending to be "features" and "up-grades".

The SUNs would take an age to start, automatically scrolling through any number of screenfulls of computerese. The same on closing them down, giving similar running-commentaries on what their operating system was doing stage by stage by....

At least they never had Off buttons found by pressing START, cartoon paper-clips and the like...

Do I make my computer (a DELL 'Vostro' with WIN 7 Pro) work hard? No, it can handle all I ask of it, though the broadband service can be slowed at times by the combination of network traffic and sheer amount of surplus guff broadcast by the ISP.

I am the one who has to work hard, not it, to understand some of the software I use. This post was edited by Durdle at February 5, 2021 3:23 PM MST
      February 5, 2021 3:05 PM MST

Banana, banana, banana, banana.

~
      February 5, 2021 3:22 PM MST