Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Names » What are some surnames that are also parts of machinery?

What are some surnames that are also parts of machinery?

Inspired by this question that was posted by another member of this website for whom I have the highest regard, esteem, admiration and envy, and if you really must know, I sort of envy his life and his lifestyle:

https://answermug.com/forums/topic/123006/soldier-porter-miller-hunter-gardener-fisher-farmer-drive
~

Posted - January 24, 2021

Responses

Fanshawe - as in: 'are you sure that fan is assembled correctly, right way around and no missing fixing-bolts - so it won't go spinning off into hyperspace the moment we start her up?' The reason I ask is the last fellow we had working here is going around with a broken fan-blade lodged in his forehead. And to make it worse, he never did see the funny side of it.    This post was edited by Stemmata949 at January 24, 2021 10:58 AM MST
      January 24, 2021 10:33 AM MST

Bolt...as in Usain Bolt, the sprinter.
    Head...Automobile engine cylinder cover.
    Shaft...John Shaft.

January 24, 2021 10:50 AM MST

Then there's Fred Flange, Hermione Glowplug, then of course, there's The Governor - he'll get ratty if he's left out, then Lady Pricilla Ratchet, Dr Kurt Tank dipl-ing, and his extremely brainy son, Professor Header Tank, George Frederick Handle, Heidi Kolben, Field Marshall H. Gordon Phule-Pype M.C. and Jean-Claude Longeron.

January 24, 2021 10:53 AM MST

I worked with a guy whose surname -slightly mispronounced sounded like 'crankshaft'. That became his nickname.

"Hey Crankshaft..!"
      January 24, 2021 10:58 AM MST

Screws
    Sparks
    Foot
    Seale
    Lever
    Button

These are from milling machines and sewing machines.  I suppose there are limitless parts if one could examine all kinds of machines.
      January 24, 2021 11:05 AM MST

Uh-huh...  A wee bit pretentious, don't you think?   After reading that, the name "dipstick" came to mind... but that's more of a title than a surname.  So I'll just say, Gib and Gauge.  And if you intend to power your machine, there's also Cord.

January 24, 2021 3:50 PM MST