Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Why did the Biden Administration remove the "We the People" online petiton section from the Whitehouse.gov?

Why did the Biden Administration remove the "We the People" online petiton section from the Whitehouse.gov?

We the People, launched September 22, 2011, is a section of the whitehouse.gov website for petitioning the administration's policy experts. It was taken down by the Biden administration on January 21, 2021.

Posted - January 28, 2021

Responses

The first thing that came to mind is the First Amendment. Blocking freedom of speech and redress of grievances.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances".

I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time, but that's what I think is the reason why it was taken down.
      January 28, 2021 9:41 AM MST

I will not be surprised if a law suit under 1st amendment does not show up soon.  
    I wonder how many (if any) petitions there were to force an forentic audit of the election.
      January 28, 2021 9:46 AM MST

I wouldn't be surprised either. I've been noticing that the courts are beginning to get their act together more lately. I'm thinking that they aren't about to just lay down and let Biden have free reign. Like the federal Texas judge blocking Biden's 100-day deportation ban.
      January 28, 2021 9:07 PM MST

I don't know and wasn't aware he did. IF he did, and that's unproven at the moment, then it's likely that it's because it harks back to the violence and division associated with the recent violence. I imagine too that it's really not representing 'we the people' so they felt that it was just stirring up anger and violence? 
    I'd have left it there - those people are not in touch with reality and of course 'we the people' voted for Biden, legitimately and democratically. 
      January 29, 2021 1:12 PM MST

It is not unproven.  Goto whitehouse.gov the section is gone.

The site was not just for election petitions. It was for any person to post their issue. And if it got the required amount of signatures...it was supposed to get a response from the White House. It was put in place by Obama. (One of the few things he did I liked)
      January 30, 2021 6:19 AM MST