Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Have you heard people say things to each other that you wish they would not say to each other?

Have you heard people say things to each other that you wish they would not say to each other?

Posted - February 6, 2021

Responses

Yes...my daughter and her husband using profanity when the children are present. I talked to her about it. She got it from her mother.
      February 6, 2021 1:29 PM MST

Profanity, I don't like it at all.
      February 6, 2021 2:36 PM MST

Yes. I think I was in the first or second grade when a substitute teacher said something to the class that has stayed with me my entire life. Someone had been called upon to answer a question and gave the wrong answer. More than half of the other students burst out into laughter and began making rude comments. The sub looked horrified at their reaction, but he just waited until it subsided and quite solemnly and calmly said these simple words, “When people make mistakes, you do not HELP them by laughing at them.” He went on to say that being little children, we probably thought that it was funny, but he pointed out that it’s not funny for the person being laughed at, that everyone makes mistakes, and if you truly want to do something, a better response is to help someone who has made a mistake.

Another example is that when people say mean things during an argument solely with the purpose of hurting the other person. Being angry and/or disagreeing with someone is one thing, but using the argument as an excuse or a cover for seeking intentional ways to cause pain is another thing.

Lastly, and in conjunction with the example above is the tactic of attacking a person’s intellect merely because he or she thinks or acts differently than you do, especially in areas of ideology or philosophy, etc. We all have the rights to opposing opinions, and just due to those extremes does not automatically mean that someone is less intelligent or less moral. I think my deeper message resonates without me having to elaborate further or cite specifics. (Cough, cough.)

February 6, 2021 7:39 PM MST