Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » It occurred to me about a week ago that with the passing of Alex Trebek, it’s now awkward to use the pop culture reference sound bite:,

It occurred to me about a week ago that with the passing of Alex Trebek, it’s now awkward to use the pop culture reference sound bite:,

“Alex, I’d like rodents of Europe for $400, please.”

Example: https://answermug.com/forums/topic/83508/alex-i-d-like-product-names-for-800-please

Companion question: https://answermug.com/forums/topic/124013/alex-trebek-what-are-your-thoughts-on-the-direction-that-the-j/view/post_id/872350#siteforum_post_872350

~

Posted - February 12, 2021

Responses

I would take that as a compliment to his steadfast hosting of the program over such a long period of time.  he was the face of Jeopardy for decades.  
      February 13, 2021 12:32 AM MST

I didn't actually post an answer last night to Randy D's question but I sort of thought the same thing.  :)
      February 13, 2021 7:08 AM MST

Just say Ken, I choose....
      February 13, 2021 8:17 AM MST

Definitely not the same thing!

As a side note, soon after Alex Trebek passed away on November 8, 2020, it was announced that several episodes of the game show had been recorded in the preceding weeks, and would be aired throughout December. It was also announced that no specific plans had been finalized as to replacing his hosting position with someone else. 

At that time, I had mixed reactions to the replacement idea. I didn’t even want to look at a screen depicting some schlub deigning to fill his shoes. I doubted I would ever watch any such a thing. Little by little, however, when the names came out as to whom might be selected, I warmed up to it over time. Once Ken Jennings took the stage, I watch every episode and have loved his performance from the start. He shows reverence to Alex Trebek not only on his declaration that he himself knows he can’t replace Alex in our hearts, minds and acceptance as host, but that he can honor the memory by doing a tribute in carrying out the duties. 

I am disturbed, though, that a long list of other people are still being considered as tryouts for this hosting job, some of them clowns whom I would not watch falling out the top floor of a burning skyscraper. Leave Ken Jennings there, that’s my opinion. 

~

February 13, 2021 8:33 AM MST

I agree 100%. I believe Ken would be the best choice. I don't use Twitter, but maybe a few thousand tweets to the producers might help keep him.
      February 13, 2021 8:41 AM MST

I remember once when my daughter was in high school something being announced in assembly that was just stupid.  The kids started humming the Jeopardy theme song.  They won that battle right then.  I, of course, only heard about it but would have enjoyed being a witness to it. 
      February 13, 2021 1:02 PM MST

I don't see why we can't still say that. We still say 'Lucy, I'm home'  or 'Whatchoo talkin' about, Willis' and other taglines from long-deceased celebrities.
      February 13, 2021 5:31 PM MST

Maybe it’s awkward for me personally for two main reasons: 1) his passing is still so fresh, and 2) the affinity I feel for him is much different than that I feel or would feel for other celebs.
    ~

February 13, 2021 7:47 PM MST