Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Did you ever have an accident/get hurt while learning to ride a bicycle?

Did you ever have an accident/get hurt while learning to ride a bicycle?

Or after you learned to ride?

Posted - February 13, 2021

Responses

I deleted my original answer because your second question throws off the dynamic greatly. Cumulatively, you’re asking whether or not we’ve ever had a bicycle-related accident at any time, correct?

At the learning stage, Nope. Close calls, sure, but nothing drastic.

Years later, I once took a spill that was initiated by a slick layer of winter ice on top of concrete. The back tire suddenly skidded out from behind me and went far to my right side, a split second later as I lost my balance and before I could react, my upper body, the handlebars, and the front tire went wild to the left, all gravity-induced. I hit the ground hard with the left side of my left knee and my left elbow first and then rolled over, hitting the right side of my right knee on the ground. As I rolled again, the bike flipped up in the air and landed directly on top of me. 

For years after that day, I carried twin strawberry scars on the outsides of both knees, and some beauts on my elbows too. 

You?
    ~

February 13, 2021 11:02 PM MST

Oww the pain!

I never had any serious accidents or falls but sometimes was thrown off balance when a tire got caught in a rut in a gravel road. We rode our bikes to school two miles on a country road. Only time I did get banged up a bit was when we used to play chicken on our bikes and I was going a bit fast when I crashed into the other guy, I went right over the handle bars onto the ground. Us crazy farm kids.
      February 13, 2021 11:54 PM MST

Short answer...a few.
      February 14, 2021 12:25 PM MST

Yes.  I learned to ride with my father running along holding the bike up for me.  I was probably four years old.  When I looked and he had let go a long way back I rode right into a bush and a branch went up into the soft tissue under my chin and another into my neck.  They took me to the hospital but I don't really remember anything else.  I do remember it hurt so badly I couldn't make a sound.  At some point I learned to ride but don't remember anything about it. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at February 14, 2021 3:55 PM MST
      February 14, 2021 2:07 PM MST