Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Have you ever deliberately killed any creature - what, and why (supposing you had a reason)?

Have you ever deliberately killed any creature - what, and why (supposing you had a reason)?

Please, no mention of human killings, if any. Don't want to attract negative comment. God, that's the last thing we want here.  

Posted - February 23, 2021

Responses

Lots of bugs and pests. 
    I have hunted squirrels and rabbits. 
    I have fished and we ate them. 

Food and comfort. 
      February 23, 2021 9:10 AM MST

Birds that the cat left half dead. They were never going to survive in the wild. 
      February 23, 2021 9:16 AM MST

Mosquitos, flys and cockroaches.
    A mouse now and then.
      February 23, 2021 9:17 AM MST

Ducks and geese in the fall hunting season, rabbits during the winter and varmints anytime. One time there were a lot of gopher holes in the barnyard area which could be a hazard for cows to break a leg so instead of waiting for the critters to make an appearance to shoot my brother and I poured a bit of gasoline down their hole then wait a minute for the vapor to accumulate then flick a bic to cause ignition. If the conditions were right the explosion would shake the ground and sometimes send a couple of gophers flying ten feet into the air. Dunno if we killed any gophers or not but they abandoned the area and never came back for a long time.
      February 23, 2021 9:59 AM MST

Insects only although when I've caught moths in the house, I've let them out the window.  
      February 23, 2021 11:02 AM MST

Deer, Rabbits, Elk, Pheasants, Ducks, Griuse and a lot whole more.  Let's say they helped fill the freezer and kept us fed.  I never had a problem with killing game.  Sold a number of 4H projects to the slaughterhouse, never had a problem there.  4H was a great way to learn about ecology and the ec onomics of a Rural Life.

On my Deployments had a problem with not killing.  Rules of Engagement (ROE's) prohibited a number a outright legitimate shots.  However the will of folks who did and still do not understand a hostile culture will always prevail over what needs to be done. AKA White Bread Suburban & IVY League at times are unbelievable
      February 24, 2021 8:39 PM MST