Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » How can a something/anything be born of nothing? Did TIME begin at the BIG BANG? What existed before that? NOTHING?

How can a something/anything be born of nothing? Did TIME begin at the BIG BANG? What existed before that? NOTHING?

Posted - March 9, 2021

Responses

The answer to that question would depend upon whether you believe the scientific explanation or the Bible's explanation. As a Christian, Scripture tells me that in the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. God has always existed. He is eternal. He created something out of nothing. Science has another explanation. They call it the Big Bang.

The Big Bang Theory is the leading explanation of how the universe began. At its simplest, it says the universe as we know it started with a small singularity, then inflated over the next 13.8 billion years to the cosmos that we know today. Discoveries in astronomy and physics have shown beyond a reasonable doubt that our universe did in fact have a beginning. What they can't explain is, at the beginning, where this small singularity came from?  Was it always there? Did this singularity create itself to become the Big Bang?

Something else I find interesting is that some scientists say this singularity always existed. Just as the Bible says God always existed. Which explanation takes more faith to believe? Which one makes more sense to you? A non-living, non-thinking mass of energy that suddenly decided to create itself and expanding into this extremely complex structure we call the universe. Or does the Creator God make more sense?

March 9, 2021 6:25 AM MST

Before the big bang was a previous universe which 'big crunched' into a singularity then big banged into our present universe according to Big Bounce theory; an infinitely recycling universe.
    Law of the Conservation of matter/energy states that matter/energy cannot be created or destroyed; it's existence is infinite.
    As well the existence of time is infinite; time cannot have a beginning because a beginning is an element of time. The illusion of elapsing time began at the event of the big bang.
      March 9, 2021 9:34 AM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply Kg. Sadly my mind doesn't GRASP most of it. Not your fault. You tried. From whence came the "previous" universe? In the beginning there was nothing. Then there was a series of somethings. That's where I'm stuck. How can anything come from nothing? AARRGGH. I know. Circular thinking brings one right back to the starting point. Does what you said make complete sense to you m'dear? I'm not trying to purposely be thickheaded. Or sarcastic. It's beyond me. Double AARRGGHH! :) Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 11, 2021 4:51 AM MST
      March 11, 2021 4:45 AM MST