Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » OK folks...what does 'cancel culture' mean?

OK folks...what does 'cancel culture' mean?

Posted - March 13, 2021

Responses

It means to stop supporting (buying from, watching, employing, following on social media, etc.) a public figure who makes a mistake or makes certain comments that are unpopular or politically incorrect. For instance, when Roseanne tweeted a racist comment and her new sitcom was canceled. It means that anyone who has a slip-up or isn't completely in sync with social norms stands to lose their livelihood and make have to work very hard to apologize or get back into public's good graces and it's not always possible. It does not mean when the estate of Dr. Seuss chose to stop publishing a couple of his most obscure works when it was pointed out that some of the illustrations were not appropriate in modern times. To be part of cancel culture, his entire body of work would have been boycotted rather than it having been a choice.
      March 13, 2021 12:16 PM MST

The sad part of the Dr. Seuss situation is that people are failing to understand that it was his estate that decided, on its own, to stop printing these books.  They were not forced to do this - it was voluntary, so those folks need to stop with the blame-game.  I'm not even sure why they have their kickers in such a twist  considering they probably wouldn't understand a Dr. Seuss book, assuming they were literate!
      March 13, 2021 12:44 PM MST

It is when someone says or does something that some people do not like.  

Similar to the Red Scare in Hollywood years ago.  But this time it is normally aimed at conservatives. 

ie.  If someone says they do not believe the election was eliminate instead of looking at the evidence and debating it.   People/organizations are simply banned from big tech.

Or deciding to remove statues and images of the Founding Fathers because they had slaves back then.  Would be trying to cancel them.  

Or people who supported Trump being told they cannot get a job anywhere now.  Or who were fired because they support a secure border etc.  

Basically it is people trying to shut down any opposite view point on the internet or IRL. 
      March 13, 2021 2:05 PM MST

Yes, the Right seems to have expanded the original meaning of the term so that they can play victim when their views are challenged.
      March 13, 2021 6:27 PM MST

The original meaning..."cancel culture" is a new term.

It is the conservatives who are being banned, demonitized, shadow banned etc by big tech.
    It was conservative Parler that was banned from Google Play/Apple Store/Amazon Web hosting all at the same time. 

It was a conservative newspaper who was banned from Twitter because they dared link to their article about Hunter's labtop and shady business deals. And many others who dared tweet a link to the article. 

We do not mind our views being challenged. We want to be able voice them. Which Big tech and others try to silence. 

But sure it is all something the right made up. 

This post was edited by my2cents at March 16, 2021 12:58 PM MDT
      March 13, 2021 8:33 PM MST

'New term?'  - Not really, it's been around a few years anyway, you may not have been aware of it until it was brought into the political arena. Something the Right made up? I did not say that - I did imply that the Right is overusing or misusing it.  Big Tech may be exercising its right to enforce its policies or it may be censoring views depending on how we look at it. It would be the consumers of social media who use cancel culture to de-platform someone whose statements are offensive to them.

Here's a better explanation of what I was saying, if you're open to it.

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/10/965815679/is-cancel-culture-the-future-of-the-gop
      March 14, 2021 5:06 AM MDT

I think we are on the same page. As is the article you linked. 

It is about silencing the opposition. We seem to disagree on who is doing it. Limiting it to just the social media users. 

It is not only done by the users of big tech. It is done by big tech itself. They are the only ones who can deplatform (demonitize, shadowban, ban etc from their platforms)
    Bosses are the only ones who can fire someone. Political leaders are the ones who can remove an elected member from their committees.  
    Not simply social media users.

It is about silencing others. In whatever way is possible for where they are in the culture...be it social media user, owner of social media, owner of movie/books/food/etc, poltical leader, boss etc.   

It is not practiced on this site. JA truly values freedom of speech/expression here. 

At one time, we as a people believed in freedom of speech.  The common phrase was..."I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Sadly that sentiment had been replaced with today's cancel culture. 
      March 14, 2021 7:35 AM MDT

No, we are not on the same page and I believe you are missing the point. I could elaborate, but I'm sure it would serve no purpose.
      March 14, 2021 3:41 PM MDT

You realize your article did not limit the phrase to just users of social media, right? 
      March 14, 2021 4:48 PM MDT

Still goes right by you, doesn't it? 'With the constant repetition of the phrase "cancel culture," the idea of "cancellation" has strayed from what it once stood for.'

I'm done here.

March 14, 2021 5:19 PM MDT

It strayed years ago...and the phrase is only 5 years old according to your article. 
      March 14, 2021 5:52 PM MDT

Cancel culture is a modern form of ostracism. Those who are subject to this ostracism are said to have been "canceled"...... I say it's all a bunch of BS! 
      March 13, 2021 3:42 PM MST

Political correctness gone mad. Pepe Le Pew is one of the latest victims, his attitude supposedly promotes "rape culture" despite the fact that he's been pursuing the same female for 75 years. On the other hand, a kid playing GTA V can hire a hooker and then set her on fire to avoid having to pay her. It's bull$#*t.
      March 13, 2021 9:30 PM MST

We agree...imagine that. Lol
      March 13, 2021 9:34 PM MST

I also have a fondness for white chocolate and macadamia nut biscuits (cookies on your side of the Pacific). This post was edited by Slartibartfast at March 14, 2021 11:56 AM MDT
      March 13, 2021 11:25 PM MST