Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I don't recall my folks ever using any swear words. Not one. My dad said words in Armenian while driving at times. Did your dad swear?.

I don't recall my folks ever using any swear words. Not one. My dad said words in Armenian while driving at times. Did your dad swear?.

He'd say DONZY GOAT. He told me it meant "pear stem" which makes me giggle to this day. The other one?

ASHOLA SHECK! I have no idea what that means if anything. Dad never told me the translation.

Should any of you out there speak Armenian and I've said something terrible I apologize.

Posted - March 16, 2021

Responses

My dad was never into swearing but oh boy my mother could swear like a sailor. :)
      March 16, 2021 3:42 AM MDT

That blows away any stereotypes of demure soft-spoken timid women! Good for her! How did your dad react when she let loose? Thank you for sharing that m'dear and Happy Tuesdday to you and yours Echooos! All good where you are healthwise hopefully? :)
      March 16, 2021 4:01 AM MDT

Good morning Rosie, As long as it wasn't directed at him he didn't care. : ) Happy Tuesday to you too and stay safe and healthy. 
      March 16, 2021 5:31 AM MDT

Good morning m'dear! I wondered if he silently chuckled and found it to be amusing! STAY SAFE is our current key words to each other and one another. I wonder when or if we will no longer feel the need to say them? Ever again? :):):)
      March 16, 2021 5:40 AM MDT

Rarely where we could hear, and very mild profanity at that. "Damn", "blast", "bugger" and "bloody" was about it - I remember him saying "a$$" exactly once.
      March 16, 2021 9:26 AM MDT

Remember my favorite ? You introduced me to it. DILLIGAF! "Do I look like I give a f---?" Nothing beats that m'dear. I expect your dad never used it even in its acronym form? What you describe above seems very mild to me. But I'm not Australian so I'm not quite sure how swear words are taken "down under". Blast? Bloody? Bugger? Words said in anger? Boy I'd sure be in trouble I expect! Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 17, 2021 3:54 AM MDT

My parents never used profanity, or profanity euphemisms.  Not even in heated arguments, anger, or frustration.  They were staunch Christians and refused to allow that kind of language to ever cross their lips.  
      March 16, 2021 11:28 AM MDT

I'd be tempted to say "sanctimonious" rather than "staunch", given that Jesus was inclined to vent when he grew frustrated. He called his best buddy "Satan", about as vicious an insult as a first century Palestinian Jew could hurl at another.
      March 16, 2021 3:15 PM MDT

Nothing wrong with following the Bible's instructions about how we are to talk. 

Rather judgmental of Shuhak's parents don't you think.

March 17, 2021 7:06 AM MDT

More being a bit judgemental of someone's view. I'm a sinner. Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven.
    I don't curse habitually. I am particularly careful in front of children. But like my Brother, I get angry or frustrated sometimes (my son carries the middle name "Mark", it's my favourite Gospel and Mark portrays a picture of Jesus that is refreshingly "human".) One slips out. I'm not proud of it, but it happens - and I do find hypocrisy to be infuriating.
    Many sanctimonious so-called "Christians" may never use profanity in discourse, but are as ravening wolves inside - greedy, prideful or whatever. Cheating on their taxes, never showing compassion to the less fortunate, "keeping up with the Joneses" etc. I'm not accusing Shuhak's parents of any of this - but I defy anyone who claims that they are a better or stauncher Christian than another who gives vent to their feelings occasionally for that reason and that alone.
      March 17, 2021 3:20 PM MDT

Saying that someone else is a staunch Christian is not comparing them to anyone else. Just simply giving a reason for why they behaved as they did/do. 

If I choose to do or not do something because I believe it is the instructed in the Bible. Has NOTHING to do with anyone else. 
      March 17, 2021 7:11 PM MDT

Well you know I have a mouth on me that some find very unacceptable. But honestly Shuhak GOD GAVE ME THIS BRAIN. I saw a plaque once that read "GOD DOES NOT MAKE JUNK". Of course that was before FOOTOO showed up. I talk to HIM every day and I never apologize for word choices. Know how that started? For years no one ever swore around me. Showing respect I guess. Once when I was in my twenties I don't remember the situation or occasion but I came out with a swear word that SHOCKED everyone. It was so unexpected I expect. Know what? I LIKED the reaction. Shocking people who expect me to always be a prim proper lady! SURPRISE SURPRISE SURPRISE! I'm not. So that's the why. An 83 year old dame with a mouth is paid attention to. People are less likely to look through you as if you were invisible. Now of course I don't do it in front of strangers. I also never do it TO my Jim. But I let loose at the TV when the lying pols get going. He says "You tell 'em honey" and he kinda laughs at me for my ferocity. These prim and proper folks with black hearts and no souls do not impress me at all. These phony blasphemous "churchgoers" who are oh so religious and righteous who are RACISTS and BIGOTS are not my cuppa. Give me someone who is HONEST HONORABLE and I don't care what kind of language is used. That's just window dressing. Packaging. Content is what matters to me. GOD gets me. GOD gets everyone HE created. So I guess that's a mea culpa? Thank you for your reply m'dear! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 17, 2021 9:46 AM MDT
      March 17, 2021 4:01 AM MDT

My parents cursed on occasion. It was not every word or not directed at anyone. 

How you can tell my Dad is drinking is he curses more. Every sentence will have F*** in it.
    My step Mom was about the same. (But not with the drinking cursing)

My Mom...I do not remember cursing at all. 

March 17, 2021 6:48 AM MDT