Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are you PRO or CON? Why?

Are you PRO or CON? Why?

Against police unions wishes the New York ACLU published data revealing more than 323,000 misconduct complaints filed against more than 83,000 cops.

Are we the people entitled to know what the cops who have power over us have done/trried to get away with?

Or is that private info for them to hide from us?

Where does the people's RIGHT TO KNOW end and the rights of a perp to privacy begin?

Posted - March 22, 2021

Responses

I think the info should be released plus they should make a pie chart that shows what percent of the misconduct was racist bassed, what percent was sexist bassed, what percent was poverty bassed and other slices like that. For too many years police misconduct was explained  with  - oh it is just a few bad apples but 83.000 sure sounds like more then just a few bad apples. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at March 22, 2021 2:39 PM MDT
      March 22, 2021 9:23 AM MDT

But considering we have over 800,000 officers that is at the most 10% which is a few. A few who need to be removed...but still a few. And we also need to consider that not every complaint is necessarily a valid complaint.   The customer or criminal is not always right. 
      March 22, 2021 11:34 AM MDT

Good Advice m'dear. Think your family and Canada can spare you to be a US consultant for awhile? On what? Everything! You never fail to come up with sound ideas. I mean what could it hurt to try them out where they would do the most good? Thank you for your reply Nanoose!
      March 22, 2021 2:44 PM MDT

Speaking as a former police officer I can say that there are good cops (the majority) and bad cops (the minority). The bad cops need to be weeded out but unfortunately, that's not an easy task for several reasons. One of which is the corruption in the hierarchy. Being a police officer is not always easy. You deal with danger and malcontents pretty much every day. You are also very aware that today's patrol may very well be your last. The stress level high and contrary to popular belief, cops are only human too. That said, that's still no excuse for the few bad cops falling into corruption and getting away with it.
      March 23, 2021 6:17 AM MDT

Pro. The information should be available. But NO personal identifying information about the officers should be made public. 

As I said above we have over 800,000 officers...so this is less than 10% of our officers.  And just because a complaint is lodged does not mean the officer was in the wrong.
      March 23, 2021 6:17 AM MDT

Yup, you're right about no personal information about the officers being made public. I'm glad you mentioned that because I forgot to. Making public a bad cop's information public would only serve to create and fuel a much more hostile and dangerous environment for the good cops.
      March 23, 2021 10:29 AM MDT

Yep. And some people just do not like cops to start with.
      March 23, 2021 5:22 PM MDT

Yup. I know that from first-hand experience.
      March 23, 2021 10:16 PM MDT