Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Family » If your biological parents had had other partners just prior to your conception, would you have preferred a different egg donor or a

If your biological parents had had other partners just prior to your conception, would you have preferred a different egg donor or a

different sperm donor? Use your imagination, think outside the box, stretch the envelope of probabilities, don’t just fall on the “how would I know” or the “it’s impossible”. I do admit that it’s an extremely strange and difficult question to answer.

This hypothetical scenario plays out in that of the two of your parents, one still remains as your biological parent, but the other one would have been someone else entirely. Basically, you would have the same mother and a different father than you actually have, or the same father and a different mother than you actually have.  That someone else could be an actual person who interacted with your parent back then, could be an old flame, could be the next person who came along in his or her life, could be a famous person, could be a complete stranger to you, could be someone you dream up, the possibilities are truly endless. You are being asked to speculate as to who that person might have been. Nothing in this scenario suggests that you are insulting either of your parents nor their choices in getting together. 

For instance: I have an elder sibling whose biological father is not my biological father. I do not know how long my mother was with that man, nor do I know the circumstances as to why or how she was no longer with him and instead ended up with my biological father. There is every possibility that if things had worked out differently, the first man would  have been my biological father. 
~

Posted - March 23, 2021

Responses

No, I won't think outside the box.  I choose to not even think through this at all.
      March 23, 2021 7:29 AM MDT

Nope.
      March 23, 2021 7:39 AM MDT

Could you expand on that question a bit more, please? I'm not sure you covered every scenario. 

I wouldn't trade my mother for anyone. I'll choose Jimmy Carter for my father. 
      March 23, 2021 7:31 PM MDT

My parents married as virgins and both of them believed in the tooth fairy.
      March 23, 2021 7:37 PM MDT