Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Shuhak
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Your opinion(s) about a freedom of speech hypothetical, please. You may answer any or all of the questions below as you see fit.

Your opinion(s) about a freedom of speech hypothetical, please. You may answer any or all of the questions below as you see fit.

SCENARIO ONE: Imagine there is a public event wherein two people are scheduled to give speeches, one of them will immediately follow the other on stage.  One of the people is a person for whom you have absolutely no respect nor admiration, someone you deeply despise, and whose stance on the issues at hand you find completely reprehensible. The other speaker is a person for whom you have high regard and esteem, the two of you share similar values and morals, and with whom you agree on many of the issues to be discussed.

As each of the speakers is introduced and attempts to deliver their speeches, they are completely drowned out by separate throngs of protesters who don’t want their messages heard. Several times they try to start again, but they cannot be heard at all. The tumult is so great that neither one of them is able to get more than thirty seconds into their presentations before it becomes obvious that it is an impossibility. Eventually, each of them gives up trying and leaves the stage, whereupon the mob explodes in a victory celebration. The protesters are not part of any government agency.

SCENARIO TWO: Same as above with the exception that the person you despise is not interrupted by protesters at all and gives the intended speech in full, but the person you favor is shouted down as stated.

SCENARIO THREE: Same as Scenario One with the exception that the person on your side of the issues is not faced with opposition and delivers every word without being bothered, yet the person you cannot stand is stopped cold by the opposition‘s noise-making.

QUESTIONS:
1. In Scenario One, who among the three entities (Speaker One, Speaker Two, or the protesters), if any, is merely exercising their right of freedom of speech?

2. Is it ok with you for one person or group to restrict another’s right to speak as long as you also disagree with the message?

3. Is it fair that neither party got to speak, meaning that they were treated equally?

4. In Scenario Two, due to whom you like between the two of them, is it wrong that your speaker was stopped from continuing, while the other person was not?

5. In Scenario Three, based on which speaker you prefer, is it fine with you that your speaker finished the address and the other person did not?

~

Posted - March 26, 2021

Responses

All three are exercising their rights to free speech.  The protesters are exercising their free speech rights even though I think they’re being crappy people.

I don’t support shutting people up or cancelling them, even if I absolutely hate their positions.

It’s technically fair if they were both treated poorly, but it’s still not a good thing.

I definitely wouldn’t like it if the person whom I support were shouted down, but I would feel bad if my opponent were silenced while my proponent finished his speech.

This post was edited by Livvie at March 29, 2021 8:04 AM MDT
      March 26, 2021 10:02 PM MDT

The First Amendment states that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

Keywords hear are "peaceably to assemble." Shouting down someone to the point where no one is able to speak isn't very peaceful in my opinion. All have a right to speak and disagree if done in an orderly and peaceful manner. Unfortunately today, matters get out of hand in a hurry which spoils it for everyone.

Question 1. They all are if it's being done peacefully.

Question 2. No, it's not ok with me.

Question 3. No, it's not fair because it violates both of their freedom of speech rights.

Question 4. Unless said speaker was speaking in a seditious manner with the intent to incite violence, they should be allowed to speak whether I agree with them or not. If that isn't their motive then yes it is wrong to stop them from continuing.

Question 5. No, it's not fine with me. As I mentioned above, let them speak as long as they are peaceful about it and not bent on inciting violence.

I hope I  was clear in my answer. I haven't had my coffee yet so that may be in doubt. :) This post was edited by rusureamisure? at March 29, 2021 11:26 AM MDT
      March 29, 2021 8:02 AM MDT