Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » I don't see why the big uproar in Georgia about voting rights. The two main contentions were reducing the number of drop boxes

I don't see why the big uproar in Georgia about voting rights. The two main contentions were reducing the number of drop boxes

and requiring ID for mail-ins. I agree with the first, as we had that problem here, too. The ID question bothered me, though. We were required to give either a state ID number, a driver license number or the last four digits of our SS number. What's the big deal?

Posted - March 30, 2021

Responses

We have to have a picture ID to see a doctor, have a bank account, cash a check, buy a house, buy a car, etc. etc. etc.    None of those make as much sense as having to have one to vote.  I have wondered since the age of 21 why in the world I could vote without proving I am who I say I am. 
      March 30, 2021 2:02 PM MDT

• Why does the number of drop boxes need to be reduced?
      March 30, 2021 2:49 PM MDT

I don't like the idea of drop boxes unless they are in a government office with an eye on it to insure only one ballot is deposited by any one person.  Here the only drop box is in the department of revenue in the court house.  It is there for about two weeks.  This post was edited by Thriftymaid at March 31, 2021 10:41 PM MDT
      March 31, 2021 10:37 PM MDT

The one that made me snort coffee out of my nose (a sensation I don't recommend) was making it a felony to supply drinking water to voters waiting in line. What the actual f**k? Also the Dem representative who was arrested for daring to knock on the governor's door in an attempt to witness the signing into law of the worst voter suppression Bill since Jim Crow (which the SCOTUS will almost certainly throw out for being unconstitutional). Park Cannon should sue.
      March 30, 2021 3:42 PM MDT

If you're going to close a multitude of polling places, then you need to have the same number of drop boxes.  Unless you're intent is to suppress votes, why is GA closing polling places, eliminating drop-boxes and preventing people from giving water or a snack to people who are standing inline for 8-10 hours to vote at the one place that IS open?  As for showing ID, that I agree should be mandatory.  Here in NYC, we have received cards indicating our voting status and show them at the polling place when we go to vote.  
      March 31, 2021 7:45 AM MDT

I agree, but the media is only emphasizing what I mentioned in my question. (And of course, the food and water thing, which believe is unenforcible.) I understand their plight, and sympathize with their cause.
      March 31, 2021 8:56 AM MDT

The food and water thing is about not campaigning to people as they wait in line.  
      March 31, 2021 9:04 AM MDT

As we discussed it is local (county) leaders closing the poll locations. The Dems in those cities should fix that.
      March 31, 2021 9:06 AM MDT

I have no problem with the new changes. 

They are even allowing early voting on the weekends.  (Sat and Sun)

I do not like drop boxes. They have early voting...no need for drop boxes. If you waited to long to mail it. Then hand deliver it to the destination (normally the clerk at the court house) 

ID should always be required. The idea that minorities are not capable of providing ID is racist in my opinion.
      March 31, 2021 9:02 AM MDT

Poverty often prevents the purchase of valid ID, and minorities are more likely to be affected by that. SS numbers are issued without charge, what is the problem with using them?
      March 31, 2021 4:50 PM MDT

Using SS cards...#1 no picture. #2 Easier for identiy theft.

And states that require ID to vote also will provide that ID for free if they fill out the form claiming it for voting. It is a legal requirement for the law to stand. 

Also is it not racist to assume most poor people are minority. I know plenty of poor white people. This post was edited by my2cents at March 31, 2021 5:32 PM MDT
      March 31, 2021 5:31 PM MDT

I said MORE LIKELY, not "most". Pure stats, black and Hispanic Americans have lower median incomes than Caucasian Americans do. There are a few billionaires among them. Much fewer than among those of European extraction, even as a percentage of the general population.
      March 31, 2021 9:01 PM MDT

And even the poor one have ID...it is required to get assistance. 
      April 1, 2021 7:11 PM MDT