Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Many white evangelicals won't get vaccinated." Due to what and why?

"Many white evangelicals won't get vaccinated." Due to what and why?

FEAR motivates them

Religious beliefs
Historical WARINESS of science
Toxic conspiracy theory embracers/believers

Average IQ 82? 72? 92? What's your best guess as to the intellectual perspicacity and acuity of these folks?

Posted - April 6, 2021

Responses

Because, to use your pet phrase, they're stupid dumb.
      April 6, 2021 2:11 PM MDT

Ah yes! THERE IS THAT! Thank you for your reply sweetie! :) ((hugs))
      April 10, 2021 5:28 AM MDT

My mom, my Uncle Bob and my Aunt Kathy are all white people, they all call themselves evangelical Christians, and they’re the only three people I know about in my family who refuse to get the COVID-19 vaccinations.  I don’t think their skin color has anything to do with it, because the black evangelicals and the evangelicals of Mexican descent who go to her church are also refusing to get the COVID-19 vaccinations.  I think their flavor of evangelical Christianity has the most to do with it.

Anyway, the reason my mom gives me is that the COVID-19 vaccines are dangerous and kill a lot of people.  On its face, vaccine safety is a legitimate concern.  There’s just one problem.  Mom, Uncle Bob and Aunt Kathy weren’t worried at all about actually getting COVID-19.  They pretty much ignored all of the recommendations and they hardly ever wore masks.  Their reasoning was that the chance of dying from COVID-19 is 0.1%, so they didn’t worry about it.  

This is a problem because the chance of dying from a COVID-19 vaccine is 0.0018%, which is 55.5 times less likely than dying from COVID-19 itself.

The only thing I really know is that the religious people who my mom follows are all opposed to the COVID-19 vaccines, and she pretty much matches her opinions to everything they say.

Also, I don’t know what the IQs of my mom and Uncle Bob are.  My mom seems pretty average.  She didn’t go to college.  Her high school GPA was around 3.5 and Uncle Bob’s highest level of education is a master’s degree.

This post was edited by Livvie at September 10, 2021 1:16 AM MDT
      April 6, 2021 10:17 PM MDT

Thank you ONCE AGAIN for a very thoughtful and informative reply to the question I asked. The only thing I can figure is low IQ Livvie. Now maybe among the refusers are geniuses. But something is very wrong inside the head that would cause them to "think" that way. I have legimate concerns about the COVID 19 vaccines too. The way it was pushed through so fast. BUT it is all we have and dying from COVID is a very painful and miserable and ghastly beastly way to die from what I've read.  Blanket refusal by hordes of people is ALWAYS suspect. Mental defect is where I go to "explain" it. Mental defect. Fuzzy "thinking". Porous minds that allow in the absurdly ludicrous conspiracy theories and embrace it with their entire being. That is not remotely intelligent. It seems to be a systemic problem among that ilk and there are others not evangelicals at all who suffer from it. A mental defect. Natured or nurtured? I don't know They are the same folks who believe the FOOTOO BIG LIE that he won by a massive amount but got gypped out of the oval office which normal average folks KNOW never happened. Mental defect. It doesn't bother me that it exists. Anomalies abound in life. But the huge numbers of people that mental defect afflicts is staggering. Happy Wednesday to thee and thine m'dear and STAY SAFE! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 8, 2021 3:25 PM MDT
      April 7, 2021 2:39 AM MDT

They still believe His Royal Orangeness's claim that COVID-19 is a Chinese hoax, and that half a million dead Americans is fake news.
      April 6, 2021 10:44 PM MDT

How can I say this delicately R? White Evangelicals must be among the most stupid dumb folks in the world.

Is stupid dumb a communicable disease? Sheesh! I just gotta ask.

Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to thee and thine! :)

April 7, 2021 2:28 AM MDT

Again....Trump never said the disease was a hoax. He the claim that he did not do anything to stop it etc was a hoax.
      April 7, 2021 3:58 AM MDT

Personally, I do not know anyone who is going to take the vaccine. This includes some of my older relatives.  Who surprised me...I figured they would because of their age. 

I do not take anything when it first comes out. I will not be the guinna pig. I have heard of many complications up to and including death. 

They are still saying even with the shot...you still have to mask, you still should not gather etc...that is like promoting a new birth control and telling people you still need to wear a condom to prevent pregnancy. 
      April 7, 2021 3:54 AM MDT

Different strokes. So it's folks like you who will GUARANTEE perpetuation of the pandemic. Thanks a lot for thinking of others. How swell of you. SIGH. :(
      April 10, 2021 5:30 AM MDT

Young people are more likely to die from the vaccine than they are from covid.  There are also many reports of miscarriages after the vaccine. No thank you.  If I were older...I would likely get one dose but not the second.  The 2nd seems to be worse for some reason.

My town will be getting rid of our mask mandate here at the next city meeting. (Was scheduled to expire end of May) 

We must be doing something right...our numbers are not jumping or spiking etc. We have been open since May last year. Masks came in July I think...could have been Aug. 

This post was edited by my2cents at April 10, 2021 6:09 AM MDT
      April 10, 2021 6:08 AM MDT

April 7, 2021 6:19 AM MDT

More Americans have died than any other nation - that's fact. Per capita, it's still in the top 3. Either the death rate is higher than that, or failure to take basic precautions is causing a stupidly high infection rate.
      April 7, 2021 3:47 PM MDT

You can take it up with the CDC, how they figure their rates.  Scenario 5 is consider best..most accurate. 

USA is also one of the most populous countries...of course we have more numbers. 

USA is not 3rd per capita in deaths. 
    This post was edited by my2cents at September 10, 2021 1:15 AM MDT
      April 7, 2021 7:43 PM MDT