Active Now

Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Has every ethnic group that ever was fled FROM somewhere TO somewhere else to escape certain death? What about the one to which YOU belong?

Has every ethnic group that ever was fled FROM somewhere TO somewhere else to escape certain death? What about the one to which YOU belong?

Posted - April 7, 2021

Responses

Intriguing question.

In my case it could never be answered.

For all we know our family might have had ancestors who were in some position like that, maybe not migrants but living in fear of persecution for some reason.  It would have been a very long time, many generations, ago though.  More likely for us, immigrants rather than refugees, from the Germanic or Scandinavian lands.

Funnily enough my sister and I were talking about it only this afternoon - our lock-down has been eased to allow meeting outdoors or in private gardens. We've not been able to trace our lineage far back at all, though the mother in one American family was a great-aunt of ours who had emigrated to the States, and married there.
      April 9, 2021 3:04 PM MDT

Well every April Armenians somewhere commemorate the "death march" that took the lives of 1.5 million Armenians at the hands of the Turks. The Armenian Genocide predated the Jewish Holocaust but when the Nazis targeted Jews they went ALL OUT and exterminated 6 million of them! Both happened many decades ago but both are soon enough ago that we remember. If yours happened many generations ago and you don't even know for sure? That is wonderful Durdle.Lynchings for African Americans is soon enough ago we can never forget. The ugly head of RACISM was always there waiting to strike and rise up again. Will the white supremacists worldwide and specifically those FOOTOO adoring worshippers ever make people walk on death marches or die in gas chambers by the millions? Stay tuned. They are on the march. They are proud and loud and ruthless and filled with hate. They've only just begun. Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! :)
      April 10, 2021 2:08 AM MDT

I don't consider myself to "belong" to any particular ethnic group, given that I'm a complete mongrel. Basques escaping the Inquisition and Irish fleeing the Potato Famine form part of it. The native Australians had nowhere to go, they were massacred for their land, or let alone in wilderness that was not considered worth having.
      April 10, 2021 7:47 PM MDT

I am descended from Jews fortunate enough to get out of Austria, Poland, and Russia as early as 1913 and 1921. My uncle grew up and was educated in Vienna, was tipped off, and escaped in 1938, literally the day before the Nazis marched in. Countless others weren't so lucky.
      April 10, 2021 8:25 PM MDT