Active Now

Malizz
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » Are there any actors you just can't stand?

Are there any actors you just can't stand?

For me...Adam Sandler, who was ranked the highest paid bad actor. The other is Jim Carrey. Blech.

Posted - April 11, 2021

Responses

Which of his early movies did that happen in? He has had leading roles since 1988.  The first that I know of that could meet your criteria is from 2002... 14 yrs into his movie career and his 7th movie. 

. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)

Turn It Up (2000)

3. Snatch (2000)
     The One (2001)

5. Mean Machine (2001)

Ghosts of Mars (2001)

The Transporter (2002) (First that I know of with Statham rescuing an Asian woman)

The next being his 30th movie...and 10 yrs after that....

Safe (I) (2012)

I do not know if this one counts. But one of the main characters is an Asian woman. 

41. The Meg (2018)

He plays action heroes. Yes he is going to be saving women and if the setting is Asia then some with be Asian.  He is also trained in Martial Arts which will also put him teamed with more Asian actors/actresses. 

April 12, 2021 2:30 PM MDT

It seems you’re more aware of his movie history than I am. I only remember that every time he was being advertised as having a new movie out, I always saw the exact same typecast role. If I am incorrect in the number of those movies or their sequence in his career, I stand corrected and I thank you for pointing it out. Your defense of him is admirable as a fan. I still include him on the list of actors I cannot stand, and my reason for it does not change. Hollywood has for about a century been run predominantly by rich white makes, so a by-product of that is they get to control the images, not only when portraying real people and events, but also supposedly real and imaginary ones. One extremely distasteful aspect of that is that all women pine for the great white savior to come swooping in and save the day. Minority women have long received the worst end of those depictions. Jason Statham was not the first nor the last to stereotype such a role, yet he has been quite prolific at it. 
    ~

April 12, 2021 3:15 PM MDT

Sounds as though you are basically not a fan of action movies.  No big deal. We all like different things.  
    Personally, I will take an action movie over a drama any day, all day. 
    Comedies are good but hard to find a clean one. 
      April 12, 2021 5:37 PM MDT

Please don’t be so blind. At no point did I state that I don’t like action movies, I happen to like them very much. I already stated quite clearly, quite exactly, quite precisely and quite specifically what I don’t like, it’s the actor himself and the stereotypical roles he has played and the way those roles have been prevalent in Hollywood ever since the first day you people invented it. And while I’m at it, I definitely don’t like you trying to put words in my mouth or attempting to speak for me. 
      If you can’t comprehend written language to the point that you need to put things between lines that aren’t even there, you need to realize that you are assuming. That is never a good thing. 

There is nothing wrong with you liking Statham as a person, an actor, the characters he portrays, etc. I have stated that I do not. If your incessant defense of him is some exercise in convincing me of how wonderful he is, you are wasting your time. You will also notice that I am not trying to get you to agree with my opinion of him. Love him all you want until the cows come home, it neither matters to me nor will it change my mind. 

April 12, 2021 7:51 PM MDT

I did not put words in your mouth.  You complained about Hollywood and the stereotypical white hero. 

I actually do not think he is that good of an actor...he plays every character basically the same.   But you description of his movies was incorrect. 

I have seen many of his movies because I like action movies in general. 

I did not/ have not made personal comments to/about you...I would appreciate the same from you. This post was edited by my2cents at April 12, 2021 8:19 PM MDT
      April 12, 2021 8:17 PM MDT

The personal statement you made about me, AND the one in which you tried to put words into my mouth: “Sounds as though you are basically not a fan of action movies.”  Not only personal, but a bold lie that had absolutely no basis in anything I wrote.  You made an inference based on some discombobulate twist that you came up with in your own mind.

So if you’re going to lie that you did not or do not make personal statements, please don’t then complain that you don’t like it done to you. 

As for my opinion statements about his movies and his acting, they are just that: opinion. I’m quite sure you don’t want me telling you that your opinions about him are wrong. 

Why in the heck are you even on this power trip? You’re trying to one-up me at every turn? Please, you’re not up to that task. I stated before that your browbeating won’t change one iota of my stance on what is supposed to be a simple answer to a simple question.  The question was posted, I answered it, it’s as plain as that. I don’t know why you keep trying to build up the molehill.

April 12, 2021 9:01 PM MDT

That is how I interpreted what you said about Hollywood and the hero stereotypes.  Followed by saying you have never watched a Fast and Furious movie which is filled with minorities as the main characters. Which lead to my conclusion (which you have stated is wrong) that you do not like action movies at all. 

No power trip.  Your statement about his movies was incorrect. So I asked you about it.  
      April 13, 2021 5:28 AM MDT

Yes  Donald Trump. His last gig was pushing Mexican beans at the WH and he had the exact same cheesy smile and exact same 2 thumbs up pose that he had 20 years ago when he pushed KFC. So I don't think he has a very good range of acting skills. Cheers!
      April 12, 2021 8:30 AM MDT

I disagree. He could act like a clown, a fool, a buffoon, a jerk, an a**hole etc. He had lots roles, but he couldn't figure out how to act like a president.
      April 12, 2021 9:18 AM MDT

Yeah he is a much better dancer then he is an actor. Awhile back I watched him dance to the YMCA song and it showed what good shape he is in - Donald Trump is round and round is a shape. Cheers!
      April 12, 2021 9:41 AM MDT

April 12, 2021 11:23 AM MDT

Wrigley Field?
      April 12, 2021 11:29 AM MDT

• Woody Allen...have never been a fan of him or his movies. 
      April 12, 2021 1:56 PM MDT

Almost all of them with their elitist attitudes.
      April 12, 2021 3:18 PM MDT

Films don't have attitudes, people do.
      April 12, 2021 9:51 PM MDT

I believe Zack was specifically referring to the people‘s attitudes, don’t you?  I don’t see how you got out of that that he meant the films. 
    ~
      April 12, 2021 10:18 PM MDT

I was talking about people Stu and not films. Was I not clear on that?
      April 13, 2021 1:55 PM MDT

Hugh Grant
    Harry Connick Jr.
      April 12, 2021 5:32 PM MDT

The closest I came to knowing an actor personally was Tim Robbins, with whom I went to high school, but I can't really say I knew him. I can't dislike anyone I don't know personally, so the long-winded answer to your question is no.
      April 12, 2021 8:37 PM MDT

What about disliking someone’s acting, acting style, choice of roles, delivery of dialogic, public persona/public personality, etc.?
    ~

April 12, 2021 9:11 PM MDT

In the same vein as my answer, I find it difficult to dislike anything about anyone I don't know personally. At minimum, I always respect the talent and hard work that goes into someone reaching the pinnacle of his/her profession, whether or not I enjoy a particular actor's performances.
      April 12, 2021 9:19 PM MDT

Ooooook. 

April 12, 2021 9:34 PM MDT

Why is that so hard to understand?
      April 12, 2021 9:49 PM MDT

Do you mean that to you, there are no bad performances because talent and hard work = all performances are good.  What about lack of talent, or poor work ethic?

~

April 12, 2021 10:15 PM MDT

No. But rather than personalize it in a judgmental way, I just remain neutral.
      April 13, 2021 4:59 AM MDT