Active Now

Thebigd
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » How does a police officer mistake a taser for a pistol?

How does a police officer mistake a taser for a pistol?

Report is that the officer in the most recent killing of Daunte Wright, 20, in Minnesota thought she pulled her taser, but it was her gun.  

Tasers

Pistols:  Sig Sauer, Glock 19 and Glock Gen 4

Posted - April 12, 2021

Responses

Both have pistol grip and are stored in their holsters.

Another case of the suspect resisting arrest....
      April 12, 2021 2:57 PM MDT

Please stop with the resisting arrest.  That is irrelevant to my question.

EDIT:  Reported on the 6 PM news:  She had her pistol on one side and her gun on the other.  The pistol weighs twice as much as the taser. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at April 14, 2021 8:39 PM MDT
      April 12, 2021 3:13 PM MDT

No, I will not stop. 
    The root cause of all these shootings is resisting arrest. 

People make mistakes. Sadly, these mistakes resulted in a death. 
    This officer will likely get some form of manslaughter. 
      April 12, 2021 5:42 PM MDT

The root cause of most of these shootings is over-jealous zealous police officers who are poorly trained. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at April 13, 2021 4:58 PM MDT
      April 12, 2021 9:15 PM MDT

No....every case is a suspect resisting arrest. And if they would just listen and comply...they would be alive now. 
      April 13, 2021 7:24 AM MDT

Zealous...sorry, I don't usually do that.
      April 13, 2021 9:43 AM MDT

Not a problem.  Randy PM'd me about it  Thanks. :)
      April 13, 2021 3:07 PM MDT

I think if I was a black man in America I would resist arrest out of fear because I would know that there is a  good chance that I wouldn't be treated fairly and even if I do ever thing I am told I could be shot. Cheers!
      April 12, 2021 9:52 PM MDT

That would be the wrong decision.  
      April 13, 2021 6:08 AM MDT

• Do you think people deserve to die for resisting arrest?
      April 13, 2021 10:59 AM MDT

No, I do not.  But I do not think the officer should either.  And the officer has every right to defend him/herself and the other people around them. 

We have to decide if someone decides to resist arrest, what is the officer supposed to do.  
    1. Just walk away and let the suspect go
    2. Try to capture the suspect
    3. What mistreatment is the officer supposed to put up with if the suspect is resisting. 

Too many officers die and are injured on the job. 

IF we want this to stop...people need to be taught from a young age that you do not ever fight the police.  It never goes well for you, because the officer has every right to defend him/herself  and others from you. Even if the officer is wrong...fight it in court. And make a report against the officer is they behaved improperly. 
      April 13, 2021 11:14 AM MDT

• If the person is not armed and not a danger to others or the police, then why do they need to be fatally shot? 

Resisting arrest is rarely a well-thought plan, it's a base reaction. Police need to be taught how to handle people who are resisting better. They also need to let certain things go and not escalate them just because they're frustrated or the person is being belligerent. 

Yes, if the person is armed and a danger to the cop or is trying to grab their gun, the cop has a right to defend themselves and use force. The cop also has a right to use non-deadly force to capture someone who is resisting. But there's no reason these deaths of unarmed men should be occurring. 
      April 13, 2021 11:25 AM MDT

This last was fighting and trying to get into his car to drive off. (Which he did).  He easily could have drove over an officer or a bystander or crashed into another car (which he also did).  That is a life and death situation.

Your right they should not be happening...people need to stop resisting arrest. That is the 1 common thread in all of these incidents. 

Should they have let this criminal with an arrest warrant go? This post was edited by my2cents at April 13, 2021 5:00 PM MDT
      April 13, 2021 11:48 AM MDT

The number one common thread in these incidents is that the police come upon Black drivers, guns at the ready, screaming commands at them and going ballistic when the person doesn't react to them immediately.  When was the last time you heard about a white driver being set upon by the police who then shot and killed him?  
      April 13, 2021 3:15 PM MDT

I just read this story.  Horrifying, to say the least.  It would seem to me that an officer would be trained with their weapons to the extent that they would know which one they were holding even if blindfolded.  It's manslaughter for sure but the question lingers....how in the world?
      April 12, 2021 4:49 PM MDT

Have you seen the average officer shoot?  There is a reason there are always multiple shots fired. 
      April 12, 2021 7:04 PM MDT

Then you will agree that the problem is that the officers are poorly trained.  
      April 12, 2021 9:17 PM MDT

Officers who are a good shot are put on SWAT.

This officer was also in a state of adrenalin taking over as they were actively fighting with this criminal. 
    Nope. The problem is people resisting arrest. 
    I cannot even think of a case where that was not the problem.  Can you? 
      April 13, 2021 6:12 AM MDT

I couldn't agree more and this was not a rookie.  
      April 12, 2021 9:16 PM MDT

Maybe because of piss poor training. I bet the glock and taser have a completely different feel and weight. Cheers!

April 12, 2021 4:50 PM MDT

The news reported that the pistol (I don't know if it was a Glock or some other make) was twice as heavy as the taser. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at April 14, 2021 7:33 AM MDT
      April 12, 2021 9:16 PM MDT

Sometimes I mistake a straight flat screwdiver for a phillips screwdriver.
    If it's in a tool bag, feels like a screwdriver, must be a screwdriver.
      April 12, 2021 6:47 PM MDT

Hard to shoot someone with a screwdriver.  Tasers and guns are worn on holsters on the waist.  I would imagine an officer always wears their gun on the same side so it would stand to reason that the taser is on the other side.  Your flat head and Phillips head screwdrivers may weigh the same.  The pistol weighs more than the taser.   This post was edited by SpunkySenior at April 13, 2021 5:02 PM MDT
      April 12, 2021 9:19 PM MDT

It's hard to tighten a phillips screw with a taser also.
    Let's keep the apples on one side and the oranges on the other.
    I wear tools on a belt daily. I know where the screwdrivers, measuring tape, long nose pliers, knife, wire stripper, pencil, are; most of the time. Sometimes I have to look twice to grab the right tool. The difference between my job and a cop's is, I don't work under spilt second, under pressure, life changing dicisions.

Show your hands, show ID, obey directions, and you'll be OK.
      April 13, 2021 4:49 AM MDT