Active Now

Element 99
Spunky
DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do ATHEISTS have souls or is that an oxymoron?

Do ATHEISTS have souls or is that an oxymoron?

Posted - April 15, 2021

Responses

While I, personally, don't believe in souls or an afterlife ... that doesn't mean it is an atheist belief.
    Just because someone doesn't believe god(s) exist, doesn't mean they can't believe in souls or an afterlife or karma.
      April 15, 2021 8:12 AM MDT

So it's not a package deal then? Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      April 15, 2021 8:51 AM MDT

I (atheist) disbelieve in God, gods, the soul,  like anything else supernatural as mythological beliefs therefore nonexistent. However I am inclined to believe that a 'residual force' of the deceased person continues to exist and is 'shaped' according to the person's past life. A bad person's residual force can mean to cause harm while the good person's force could be helpful. Eg like the story of the  young girl about to step off the curb on a green light when according to her she heard her deceased grandmother's voice distinctly  warn her to 'stay put, don't leave the curb!'. She heeded the voice and observed a vehicle blow through the light iright in front of her.

There are MANY similar stories where a person has been helped by a deceased person.
      April 15, 2021 9:44 AM MDT

Everyone has a soul.  A "soul" is simply one's beliefs; their core values, or what they believe to be true.  Just to say that one is an atheist attests to the fact that they have a soul. 
      April 16, 2021 12:32 PM MDT

I think it may have been driven into me by that Homer like kid who seriously convinced me there is no soul! 'He says 'There is no such thing as a soul! Okay!'?

This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at April 16, 2021 1:03 PM MDT
      April 16, 2021 1:00 PM MDT