Active Now

Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Language » English speakers, when you say words like when, what, why etc. do you pronounce the 'h' sound?

English speakers, when you say words like when, what, why etc. do you pronounce the 'h' sound?

Is that too pretentious?

Posted - May 5, 2021

Responses

No. But we did have an elementary teacher one time who insisted that the H should be pronounced clearly.
      May 5, 2021 5:40 PM MDT

No. 
      May 5, 2021 6:36 PM MDT

I don’t believe that I make a conscious effort to do it, but reading your question took me back to my childhood. My mother, who graduated college as an English major and as such was a proponent of correct English being spoken, and also started to teach me to read and write shortly after I began to talk. Additionally, she was vehemently opposed to anyone using baby talk in addressing her infants, herself included, so she spoke to us on an adult level in order to build our vocabulary and grammar and syntax and understanding of a myriad of topics in ways that elevated us well beyond expectations for our ages. No slang was ever allowed to be uttered in her household, etc. 

In answer to your question, she was an absolute STICKLER for the h to be clearly and audibly enunciated in the words you mention. ‘Twixt you and I, though, not once did I ever understand what the heck she meant by it. I was obedient and complacent when admonished by her, but it sure confused me. It quite quickly became something that I only did in her presence, but in no other situation or circumstance did it come up in my experiences elsewhere.

As I grew older, and as is normal with growing children to gain more independence from parental control, it slowly became less of an issue. I had not even thought about it in decades until you brought it up.
    ~

May 5, 2021 7:24 PM MDT

Just enough to differentiate between win/when, watt/what. Where/ware comes out the same. Y and why, too. 
      May 5, 2021 8:13 PM MDT

Bhut whhy?, Bhaby?
      ~

May 5, 2021 9:09 PM MDT

I don't know! 
      May 6, 2021 4:53 PM MDT

I don't believe I do.
      May 5, 2021 9:39 PM MDT

Used to, when speaking to my wife's Welsh grandmother. Nobody else cared.
      May 7, 2021 2:53 AM MDT