Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Give money to the obscenely wealthy to "incentivize" them. Take money away from the poor to "incentivize" them? WHAT?

Give money to the obscenely wealthy to "incentivize" them. Take money away from the poor to "incentivize" them? WHAT?

You betcha. The poor are deadbeat cheapskate lazy bums. They won't work if they can get a handout from the gubment. So make sure you never pay them unemployment or a living wage or they just take advantage of it and stay at home eating bonbons and living the good life. RIGHT?

Posted - May 15, 2021

Responses

I do not blame the person on unemployment for turning down a job that pays less than what they recieve on unemployment. Why would they? Work for $400 a week if they can get $500 a week not working?  Government is stupid. 
      May 15, 2021 8:56 PM MDT

Huh? Who is advocating that?
      May 15, 2021 9:14 PM MDT

Tax cut for the rich is the first thing FOOTOO did.

Reducing unemployment benefits so that folk will go out to get a job.

This is what has or is occurring. You don't keep up with what's going on much do you? Biden is getting slammed for his relief packages vis a vis the unemployed. I don't know if you are rich but FOOTOO made a big deal out of his 2017 TAX CUT FOR THE OBSCENELY WEALTHY. I believe it was 2 TRILLION. As usual I am beating a dead horse. Did I answer your question? Funny how you show up and question me but never answer my questions. I expect you have a reason. Whatever.
      May 16, 2021 2:57 AM MDT

But it's important to remember that he is no longer president and, if possible, quit being so angry about him.
      May 16, 2021 6:09 AM MDT

You are telling how to FEEL now? Seriously Stu that is arrogant supercilious and absurd. Who are you to tell me how I should feel and what I should QUIT?  SHEESH.
      May 19, 2021 3:04 AM MDT

Not telling or dictating, nobody can or should do that. It was just a friendly suggestion. I am sorry you misread it.
      May 19, 2021 5:25 AM MDT

Many states are removing the Covid bonus unemployment. So people will not be making more money on UE than working.
      May 16, 2021 5:22 AM MDT

I have a better idea which is kind of inspired by my2cents’s reply, but will probably completely horrify her. (Sorry, mycents, I just have lots of unpopular political opinions).

Just take the unemployment people are getting now and modify it so that it’s partial universal basic income.  Determine the absolute minimum that people need to get by, and just give everybody that amount of money until they get a job that pays more.  That can replace the minimum wage.  If employers want more people, they’ll just have to pay more than the partial universal basic income.  That would be better because then employers wouldn’t lay off people when the minimum wage increases, and if they do lay someone off, that person would just go back to getting the partial universal basic income.  It would also be more efficient than having the myriad of social programs we have now.  Most of those could be replaced by a partial universal basic income.
      May 15, 2021 11:53 PM MDT

((hugs)) Bet you can't tell how much I adore your reply can you Liv? Why do I like it very bigly? It is thoughtful logical and SIMPLE. Nothing convoluted or twisted about it. Straightforward so anyone can understand it. No playing around with double entendre. No hidden meanings. No "code" words so "the usual suspects" will hijack it and plan to sabotage it or insurrection is. Did this solution just pop into your mind or have you been formulating it and thinking about it for some time? Anyway I give you a thumb's up m'dear. Thank you for sharing it and Happy Sunday to thee and thine! :) Another thing though. That amount would have to fluctuate depending upon where people live. Some areas cost a lot more than others to live. San Francisco, New York, are more expensive than some heartland small town in Nebraska or southern mountain town. It could get a bit complicated on that end but I'm sure it could be worked out. This post was edited by RosieG at May 18, 2021 10:46 AM MDT
      May 16, 2021 2:49 AM MDT

My husband actually favors something like that.

Does everyone get it or just up to a certain income? 

Actually I would take that and merge it into the Fair Tax (not Flat but Fair)  Get rid of federal income tax all together. No more F1040.  (pass constutional amendment to remove it). Replace it with a national sales tax. (25-30%) This makes everyone pay taxes. Regardless of legal status, citizenship, require businesses to pay it...no tax exempt status, etc. 
    This is why you need to make the income tax illegal via amendment otherwise the gov would eventually be taxing both income and sales. 
      May 16, 2021 5:17 AM MDT

:):):)
      May 19, 2021 2:57 AM MDT

You like the Fair Tax? 
      May 19, 2021 5:04 AM MDT

The best way to get people working is
    1. Put more money in the hands of the poor to stimulate demand, and
    2. Increase the minimum wage and crack down on wages theft, which includes ALL employers who pay below that minimum. A person working a 40-hour week should be well able to make ends meet.

Tax cuts for the 1% stifled the economy. NOTHING trickled down - they reinvested in in buying their own shares, which provided a boost to the stock market but did NOTHING else and left the cupboard bare when the money was needed for stimulus.
      May 16, 2021 3:48 AM MDT

Problem is most companies do not like to give 40 hrs.  They hire 10 part time workers when they only really needed 2 full time workers. (Kick backs involved for hiring those on UE and getting assistance) I think there needs to be a tax penalty for this practice. This post was edited by my2cents at May 19, 2021 3:00 AM MDT
      May 16, 2021 5:21 AM MDT

AbsoBLOODYlutely, that happens in Australia as well. The government actually encourages this practice as a person working even one hour per fortnight is classified as "employed", which drives the raw numbers down (if you add underemployment to unemployment the figure is more than 15% of the workforce). Gig workers are also not entitled to paid sick leave, public holidays or annual leave, which reduces overhead.
      May 16, 2021 3:02 PM MDT

Something we agree on politically....who knew it even existed.
      May 18, 2021 10:59 AM MDT

May 19, 2021 3:00 AM MDT

May 19, 2021 3:00 AM MDT

May 19, 2021 3:01 AM MDT

"Trickle down" is bullsh**! Nothing ever trickles down. It trickles up into the pockets of the obscenely wealthy. They know how to reverse gravity. And yet there are money bubbleheads who believe it. Why are there all in the US? Any idea? Thank you for your reply R and Happy Wednesday to you! :)
      May 19, 2021 2:59 AM MDT