Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » At any house where you have lived, what are some items that have accidentally ended up stuck on the roof?

At any house where you have lived, what are some items that have accidentally ended up stuck on the roof?

When I was growing up, it was a Frisbee, a Nerf football, a few softballs and baseballs, balsa wood model airplanes, my sister’s doll (I plead the Fifth), mis-thrown newspapers, at least two kites, etc.

~

Posted - May 20, 2021

Responses

Cricket balls. Six and out. We were always climbing up there to retrieve them, much to my mother's consternation.
      May 21, 2021 12:10 AM MDT

Thank you for your answer. After I read it, I began a private message that I was going to send to you asking what “six and out” means, is it an Australianism, a football (known as soccer in the US) term, a rugby term, a cricket term . . . then I remembered you mentioned that you referee for cricket games. 

I looked it up and learned it is decidedly a cricket term. From the rulebook of that game, I cut and pasted the following:

• Six and Out – If you hit it over the fence you're out and you have to get the ball. The 6 runs are awarded to the batsman to reflect the great shot that they have hit. This rule is especially popular in small backyards (where the rule may be applied to any ball that lands over the fence – not just 6's), and encourages the batsman to exercise control and restraint by aiming for 4's instead of 6's. Six-and-out is also often extended to include nearby fragile objects such as windows and cars which are declared out-of-bounds; if a ball hits an out-of-bounds object on the full it is deemed six-and-out, even if no damage is evident.

~

May 21, 2021 12:22 AM MDT

I've always lived in an apartment building, so nothing wound up on the roof.
      May 21, 2021 8:54 AM MDT