Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Music » Have you ever tried to sing a song that you like very much but realized it’s much harder to sing than you originally thought it was? ~

Have you ever tried to sing a song that you like very much but realized it’s much harder to sing than you originally thought it was? ~

Posted - May 31, 2021

Responses

One Week - Barenaked Ladies (male despite the name). Requires vocal prestdigitation - sleight of mouth. I used to be okay at it when I sang opera (Mozart and Handel sometimes included difficult passages), but I'm out of practice.
      May 31, 2021 6:32 PM MDT

I like Barenaked Ladies. (The band, that is.)
      January 9, 2022 7:47 PM MST

At a fun outdoor karaoke event - - I chose to sing "California Dreamin' " by The Mamas and The Papas. (I grew up listening to them over and over and over and . . .  my parents were big fans. And I'm still a HUGE fan. )

As I sang, it was apparent how difficult it is to sing the song alone because one line is sung, then immediately repeated -- and Denny's, Michelle's, John's, and Cass' flawless harmonies are, to me, what make the song timeless and gorgeous. Just like everything I've ever heard from them. Those four together have so bettered my life.

My karaoke experience was fun  (and not so great for those listening). Literally growing from a young child into an adult listening to The Mamas and The Papas, and knowing the song so well, still made no difference to successfully sing the song -- those four are, for me, the only way to hear their music.   :) 
      January 9, 2022 8:01 PM MST