Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Recreation » There are two hiking trails to the top of a mountain, one very steep the other more sloping- which would you prefer to take?

There are two hiking trails to the top of a mountain, one very steep the other more sloping- which would you prefer to take?

Posted - June 22, 2021

Responses

Aren't very steep and more sloping the same?
      June 22, 2021 7:56 AM MDT

No I don't think so because more sloping would mean lesser steep.. wouldn't it?
      June 22, 2021 8:00 AM MDT

I don't know; that's why I asked. Nevertheless, I would take the less steep route. I can barely climb stairs.
      June 22, 2021 8:07 AM MDT

About 25 years ago when I used to hike up Grouse mountain here I usually preferred the steep route because I could achieve elevation faster even though I had to take more rest breaks. The sloping route was a long boring hike. No sir, I could not do any of that now.
      June 22, 2021 9:16 AM MDT

It'd depend on what I felt like and/or how much time I had.  Although easier, the more sloping trail would be longer as it would switchback, thus taking more time to traverse.   I used to hike the Sierras all the time when I was younger.  I never liked switchback tails (especially when coming down a mountain).  However, they didn't put as much of a strain on the back of my legs as using the "straight" trail did.   Some switchback tails were more scenic as they provided wider angles of vision on the mountainside.
      June 22, 2021 12:37 PM MDT

The Helicopter.
      June 22, 2021 3:16 PM MDT

Neither. I'm the sea-level type.
      June 22, 2021 4:10 PM MDT

I've experienced such a place and it is an absolutely divine trip.  The place is Mt. LeConte Lodge in the Great Smoky Mountains.  There are two trails that go up to the lodge. The website says there are five, but when we went there were only two.   One is a very steep five-mile trail and the other is a slopping not-as-steep eight-mile trail.  We go up the eight-mile trail and come back on the steep trail. Part of this hike is on your butt....sliding.   The lodge is rustic.  I haven't been up there in years but when we went there was no electricity.  The cabins had a fireplace and oil lamp.  The lodge had gas lighting and the cooking was done by gas.  Supplies had to be taken up by  mule or other animal.  From the lodge the bears gave quite a show.  They knew when meals happened and waited patiently outside waiting for the leftovers.  This is an experience I wish everyone could have.  The country is breathtaking, the food is marvelous, and the hike treacherous.  Anyone interested should know that (last time I checked) it takes at least two years to get a reservation.

https://www.lecontelodge.com/
      June 22, 2021 7:40 PM MDT

The path with the less exposure (in the climbing sense)! I like hill country but not exposed heights.

Coming down I'd want the gentler slope though, as easier on the knees.
      July 22, 2021 4:10 PM MDT