Discussion » Questions » Family » If child after child born to you were of the same gender would you keep trying till you got one of the opposite gender?

If child after child born to you were of the same gender would you keep trying till you got one of the opposite gender?

Posted - October 27, 2016

Responses

I've noticed there seems to be a lot of families where the youngest kid is always the different sex from his or her siblings.
      October 27, 2016 8:16 PM MDT

• Do you think this question applies to most of those families you talk about? I know of two families in my neighbourhood who had an obsession for boys and kept trying till they got one. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 27, 2016 8:26 PM MDT
      October 27, 2016 8:26 PM MDT

Yes but all of those families had three kids.  I don't know if I want three kids.  Right now I don't have any but my husband and I disagree about the amount of kids we should have.  I want one and I would be very happy with one but my husband was an only child and he thinks we shouldn't have just one.  He doesn't want to repeat what he thinks his parents' mistakes were.
      October 27, 2016 8:40 PM MDT

Have you been listening to old Bill Cosby comedy alums?
      October 27, 2016 8:18 PM MDT

No, but I'm the baby in my family and the only girl.  My husband's step dad has three daughters and the youngest one is his only son.
      October 27, 2016 8:20 PM MDT

• Livvie, do you think my question might have applied to your parents?
      October 27, 2016 8:24 PM MDT

I think it definitely applied to my step dad in law.  I don't know about my own parents.  My mom said she never wanted girls.  She favored my brother and my half brother.  I was never close with her but my dad didn't play favorites even though the half brother that wasn't his gave him a lot of grief and misery.  I was always close to my dad and my full brother.

Your question might have applied to my dad even though I'm not sure why they decided to have me.  They never answered that.

October 27, 2016 8:32 PM MDT

I don't know. I had a girl and then a boy. Then another boy we stopped there. I don't know if they had all been girls if we would have kept trying for a boy.  Or vise versa. 
    My brother has 4 girls they did decide that was enough... they were trying for a boy.
      October 27, 2016 8:25 PM MDT

• You and your brother both made very sound and sensible decisions.
      October 27, 2016 8:27 PM MDT

No. But I know many people who do this and I think it's sad. They say that they're going to "keep trying" for a boy (or girl). I don't think that children should be referred to as "tries". Sad, I think.
      October 27, 2016 9:27 PM MDT

• Ideally, would have liked one of each but nature allowed me none.
    Had I been able, I would have stopped at two irrespective of gender.

October 27, 2016 10:54 PM MDT

No, I always had one wish and that is to have healthy kids. Their sex has never been a preference. The number of kids isn't one decided by a wish for a child of the opposite sex, but a wish for another child. I'm so pleased and satisfied with my kids and couldn't have wished for any difference. I love them above anything.
      October 27, 2016 11:04 PM MDT