Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Saw the movie "RUNNING ON EMPTY" yesterday for the first time. When, how, why did RIVER PHOENIX die? I know the answer. Do you?

Saw the movie "RUNNING ON EMPTY" yesterday for the first time. When, how, why did RIVER PHOENIX die? I know the answer. Do you?

Posted - July 17, 2021

Responses

According to authorities, he died from a lethal combination and dose of cocaine and heroin. He was shoved out of a nightclub for getting into a fight. He then collapsed on the sidewalk and died. He was 23 years old. Hollywood has always been a cesspool of scandal and corruption. It lures in the young star-struck kids then proceeds to destroy their lives. River Pheonix is but one of a long list of victims.
      July 17, 2021 1:27 PM MDT

What did you think of the movie? 

I really enjoyed his work and he seemed like a genuinely good and kind human. The tragedies of abuse and addiction. :(

Happy Sunday, Rosie. 
      July 17, 2021 9:39 PM MDT

I thought the movie was a splendid look into a reality some people live. I think River was superb in the movie and I researched a little bit about him. He had many talents and you probably know came from an atypical family. I think his brother Joaquin won an academy award for his work in some movie. In researching it I found out a very sad connection. He died on my birthday in 1993 of a drug overdose I believe. He was 23 years old and just as with James Dean I wonder what other grand and glorious contributions he could he have made had he lived a "normal" life? So sad. I thought Christine Lahti and Judd Hirsch were very good as well. Thank you for your reply SA and Happy Sunday to thee and thine m'dear! :)
      July 18, 2021 2:41 AM MDT

My favorite scene is the birthday party, with everyone singing and dancing to James Taylor's 'Fire and Rain'. I have a lot of love for this movie. 

I've always had this feeling that I should have been coming of age when I was just arriving on the planet. I think I'm lucky that I wasn't... could have found myself in Lahti's character's shoes; or in the shoes of River's own parents or at Jonestown (God forbid!). d

I really don't strive to be typical or normal anymore and it is quite a relief! :)

If you have greater interest in River, check out 'Aleka's Attic' - the band that River and his sister formed. There are quite a few videos on YouTube! 

Be well! 

July 18, 2021 1:03 PM MDT

I didn't know he and Martha Plimpton were an item. From what I read he was extremely multi-talented. I wonder how much of the way he was raised had to do with his early death? The whole thing is sad. Thank you for your informative reply. I have never You Tubed. I will. :)
      July 18, 2021 2:20 PM MDT

Life is full of trauma and tragedy, which frequently lead to more trauma and tragedy.

Staying aware but not obsessed with that fact is tricky, isn't it? Hopefully it leads us to compassion and gratitude. I think that's the idea, at least. 

:)
      July 18, 2021 3:37 PM MDT

It comes in waves for me m'dear. Always has. At times I am blissfully unaware and other times it is inescapable. I go with the flow. Bend when I must and rigidize when it's better to do so. I'm still here so I must be doing something right! Thank you for your reply SA and Happy Monday! :)
      July 19, 2021 3:27 AM MDT

I hear that!

:)
      July 19, 2021 6:58 PM MDT

Oh I loved that scene where they were all dancing too. It was a lovely touch and it's one of the ones I replay in my head SA! Happy Tuesday m'dear pal! :)
      July 20, 2021 3:23 AM MDT

Any connection between the film and Jackson Browne's classic tune?
      July 19, 2021 7:29 PM MDT

There is a song with that title...Running on Empty? I did not know that so I don't know the answer to your question. Happy Tuesday to you and yours.
      July 20, 2021 3:24 AM MDT

Great driving song, c. 1977!
      July 20, 2021 7:33 AM MDT

Thanks for the video Stu. Happy Tuesday to you and yours.
      July 20, 2021 7:34 AM MDT

Yes, I believe it's featured at some point. I haven't seen it in a while, but there are some good songs in the film. 
      July 21, 2021 9:50 PM MDT

:):):)
      July 22, 2021 2:07 AM MDT