Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Paperboy.

Paperboy.

What is a job you had prior your eighteenth birthday that is practically nonexistent or obsolete in 2021?

[Excluding household chores, family-related tasks that were paid via allowances, etc. This is about work you did for a company or business, and you were paid a salary from which withholdings were taken, etc.]

I had a newspaper route at age ten that I covered on my bicycle; I doubt minors deliver newspapers these days in major cities, even in those few places where newspapers still exist. Small towns and rural areas might be a different story.
~

Posted - July 18, 2021

Responses

Telegraph messenger for CN telegraphs. Canadian National Railway. 1964 paid 75¢/hour.
      July 19, 2021 1:08 AM MDT

In high school I worked at a movie cinema as an usher.  I worked there over a year after school and weekends.  I do not believe movie theatres have reserved seating these days.  I put many people in the wrong seats.  Thankfully, I got most of them to the right ones.  I also got to work concession which was fun.  Every one who worked there was from two high schools so we all knew each other.  

In the summers and Christmas holidays starting when I was about 14 or 15 I worked (with the required written parental permission) at a very expensive department store downtown.  My aunt worked there and made this arrangement for me.  Each floor had a suction tube station (sort of like drive-in bank stations).  Each counter out in the departments with a cash register had a place receipts and credit slips were put on a  big steel spike-type thing (the point faced upward).  My job was to go to each cash register, collect cash and credit slips, separate, and send to the office on the top floor where my aunt worked via the suction tube.  I never stopped being amused on that job.  The elevators also had drivers.  They were exquisite to ride in and the drivers were always sweet and funny.  They knew everything that went on in that store.  I got to eat in the employee lunchroom which served up foods that were delish!

July 19, 2021 3:45 AM MDT

I worked part time in ladies shoe department, of a major store. Had to measure the ladies feet, length and width and then go to the back room to find a pair that fit. Now I don't think they have wide or narrow shoes, just one size fits all.
      July 19, 2021 10:58 AM MDT

I was a paperboy for the local newspaper.  I had 118 papers and my route was on the western edge of town (over a mile from where I lived).  I's get home from school, roll the papers, load them in my paper bags, adn off on my bike I'd go.  The papers were so heavy that I went through 8 bicycles.  It was miserable when it rained/snowed.  I literally had to wrap each paper in a sheet of wax paper.  Collecting sucked too.  Starting every month on the 25th, I had to finish my route, go home, eat dinner, them walk back over to my route with my money bag (containing $20 in change ) and my collection book, and go door to door collecting payment (no street lights in those days).   I  learned quickly that people sucked!!!  A few customers gave me a 2-bit tip, but some outright stiffed me.  
      July 19, 2021 11:50 AM MDT

Job?  I don't understand the concept.
      July 19, 2021 12:56 PM MDT

Grrrrrrr. 

~

July 19, 2021 3:00 PM MDT

"This is about work you did for a company or business, and you were paid a salary from which withholdings were taken, etc."

Did your stint as a paperboy meet these requirements?
      July 19, 2021 1:47 PM MDT

Yes. It was a large metropolitan newspaper with extremely wide circulation, a massive business enterprise.

~

July 19, 2021 3:00 PM MDT

So they withheld taxes and SS?
      July 19, 2021 4:10 PM MDT

Of course.
    ~
      July 19, 2021 9:24 PM MDT