Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Apparently, my wife and I have a new pet; a guest who has adopted us and inhabits our garage. It’s been about a month now.

Apparently, my wife and I have a new pet; a guest who has adopted us and inhabits our garage. It’s been about a month now.

1) Is it the female cricket or the male cricket that chirps, or can it be both of them?

2) Or, on the other hand, does the gender of the chirper vary depending on inner-species differences?

3) What are some little-known trivia facts you personally know about crickets without looking them up, searching the internet for them, and/or posting links about them here as your answer or to accompany your answer?

My wife and I love our little baby. She/he chirps so cutely and so sweetly that we find it both amusing and soothing. We do not know its gender, heck, neither one of us has ever seen her/him, and even if we did, we wouldn’t know the gender based just on looks. A couple of times I have spent two or three minutes trying to find her/him, but I believe she/he must have ventriloquist powers, because I could narrow down the location by following the sound and then rip through the walls, floor, ceiling and all the junk in the garage and every few seconds it would seem as if it was coming from the exact opposite place that I’ve searched. Of course, there could be more than one of them and they’re all playing “Keep-Away” with Papa Randall, who knows? I’ve given up my search each time in short order.

We’re content with knowing that our home is a pleasant and welcoming enough place that our guest(s) is (are) comfortable and happy, as evidenced by the practically constant serenading.
~

Posted - July 20, 2021

Responses

Only males Chirp.
      July 20, 2021 7:42 PM MDT

The air temperature determines the frequency of the chirps. The cooler it is, the fewer chirps per minute.
    You have way too much time on your hands. Oops, time to go watch the robins eat.
      July 21, 2021 7:31 AM MDT

Well, right at this time of year, it’s pretty warm in that garage, even at night. That explains why we hear some so much of it, thank you!
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at October 1, 2021 2:29 PM MDT
      July 21, 2021 7:47 AM MDT

We get one once a year in the autumn.
      July 21, 2021 7:51 AM MDT

I hear cricket sounds 100% of the times....it's just a matter of volume.  

My BIL hates the sound.  My sister called one night and said there was "a" cricket somewhere outside and BIL was out in the yard with a flashlight hunting it.  We still laugh about that. 

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at July 24, 2021 1:59 PM MDT
      July 21, 2021 8:55 AM MDT

~

July 21, 2021 4:28 PM MDT

hunting cwickets (quickets)
      July 24, 2021 12:11 PM MDT

I'm wondering if my "cricket" is actually a battery in the smoke alarm.  
      October 1, 2021 12:58 PM MDT

New battery time. 
      October 1, 2021 1:48 PM MDT

Yeppers!
      October 1, 2021 4:18 PM MDT